wheeledhorseman

Clark WW2 military aircraft tractor

wheeledhorseman

I became interested in :woohoo: restoration earlier this year, prior to that I had focused mainly on restoring and showing miltary vehicles here in the UK. At this year's War and Peace Show (believed to be the largest military vehicle show in the world) I paid rather more attention to any tractors that I came across as there are usually a few. This one really caught my eye, in fact it was love at first sight!

Clark1.jpg

Clark2.jpg

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it's a Clark, Clarktor heavy aircraft tug. In the US. these were, I understand, designated MILL-44 but as this restored example is here in the UK. it's probably one of the 1512 that were manufactured for the "British Ministry of War Transport" under contract and shipped here at the end of 1941, designated BH (British Heavy). As far as I know they were manufactured by Clark Tructractor, Battle Creek, MI.

Anyone got one of these or know more about them? I think they're really cool!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Don1977

It looks like the Clark dinkies that were used in the cotton mills around here. They were a little smaller but still had that 3/4" plate grill with the holes in it.

mavfreak

did you happen to see any bantam "jeeps" there. Not a big fan of other jeeps just the bantam. What was under the bonnet of the tractor?

shorts

It should be powered with a continental flathead 4 161 or a 6 227 with a borg warner 3 speed trans. the rear fenders are 1 1/2'' thick "sheetmetal" for added traction. I remember taking 7 disassembled tugs and making 2 restored tugs as a newly hired mechanic 1st project, real challenging since I had never seen a complete one up close and their wern't any manuals to use either. :woohoo:

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Hey! That looks pretty close to the one still in service at our maintenance facility here on post. :woohoo:

Picture055.jpg

Picture054.jpg

Guys in the shop say it was OD green back in the day but I have always known it to be repainted the yellow as you see it now. As you can see, this one is a two seater. :D

Picture057.jpg

Picture056.jpg

Picture061.jpg

Ours is powered by a Chrysler flat head four. :ROTF:

Picture059.jpg

Picture058.jpg

Cool to see it still has it's original oil bath air cleaner in place too. :D

Picture060.jpg

:P:D :D

Shuboxlover

That is freaking AWESOME!!!!!!!! :woohoo:

Robin1966

Hi guys, just joined this site, having stumbled on the Clarktor Tug thread. I am interested to know how many of these are either preserved or still being used in the UK, anyone any ideas? Also, I'd like to know more about the two examples featured on this page if that's possible. Ta.

phantomfyxer

Just ran across this thread.  I am restoring a 1952 MILL40 and need a couple of the retainer or spacer rings for the rear wheels, Clark PN 100455.  Anyone out there have any leads on a parted out tug or someone with spare parts?