nylyon

How to remove a mower deck

peter lena

KAA1973, NOTING YOUR ISSUES,  you do not remove the curved rod , YOU SWING IT TO THE SIDE.  also your lower rod mount area has a hole in it for a "  R TYPE CLIP PIN " WITH A WASHER UNDER IT for easy and ELIVATED MOVEMENT. also noted was the total lack of any LUBRICATION ON MOVEMENT POINTS , how come ?  you don't have to remove the pto drive belt ,you leave it  on the drive unit.  btw, is the mule belt drive noisy ? with it removed you can easily repack those 6203 bearings with a hi temp grease , simply use a 3" pocket screwdriver , and gently pop off the seals , wipe out the bearing grease and repack with lucas red and tacky grease , 550 temp rating that will not fail or get noisy . if you want to remove the belt  , leave the  pto  on the tractor , for leverage advantage , and take off the belt guard side nut , very easy . any other questions ? just ask pete 

Handy Don
1 hour ago, peter lena said:

you don't have to remove the pto drive belt ,you leave it  on the drive unit. 

Like Pete, I leave the belt running through the mule and take the mule off by releasing the Attach-a-matic.

Pete also mentioned swinging the PTO bar. To do this, I disconnect the arm that leads to the PTO lever (an R-pin) and the pin at the outer end of the PTO (mine has one of the nifty wire-locks). That usually gives me just enough room.

peter lena

good picture reference, for those of us that have done this , its easy , for a newbie its confusing , not a big deal , do it a few times , it will be a non issue , pete

Damien Walker
On 1/25/2021 at 2:05 PM, KAA 1973 said:

Had to revive this thread, I also have to use tools to remove the mower belt from the PTO of my 312-8.

Trying to figure out why I can't remove the rod, when I remove the hair pin I can drop the rod down but it hits

the top of the PTO pulley, just like in the picture above. If I lift the rod it hits the bottom of the PTO pulley before it will come out of the hole.

What's the secret to removing the belt without unbolting the bracket?

I'm a bit late answering this but:

The C Series was a slightly better design in that the loop that pins the curved pto rod to the pto shaft was shaped so that it swivels out of the way without having to pretty much dismantle the system. For the later models (3,4,500 series) here's how to do it:

1) Remove the safety clip that pins the loop on the curved pto rod to the pto shaft

2) Pull the large R clip that supports the curved rod

3) Pull the small R clip that connects the long pto operating rod to the bellcrank

4) Swivel the bellcrank such that the curved pto rod moves outboard of the pto pulley....so that it can drop down out of engagement with the bellcrank

Tools aren't required (if your fingers are strong enough to pull the R clips)

A picture is worth a thousand words so I'll take some photos in daylight tomorrow.

Damien Walker

As mentioned, the C-Series has a much better designed clevis that connects the curved rod to the pto shaft (joined by large safety pin). When the pin is removed, this swivels outwards to allow the curved rod to disengage from the pto shaft it presses on. This allows you to remove or replace a mower belt (ie where the curved rod isn't through the belt).

If the curved rod passes through the belt, you have to use the method described for the later tractors.20210330_140207.jpg.3a943e8ee844d9466e3ab95ec5047943.jpg

For the later 3,4 and 500 series machines, the pto clevis doesn't swivel so you have to completely dismantle the linkage to do anything.

So, following the steps above, remove the pto safety pin and the two R clips, disengage the pto operating rod and swivel the bellcrank fully out/forwards. This enables the curved rod to drop out of the bellcrank and the clevis to drop away from the pto shaft...all belt changes can then be made prior to reassembling it all. If you are just putting the mower on and off, it's a bit of a faff and the C-Series is much better. When I get a minute, I intend to replicate the C-Series clevis on my 518H20210330_140037.jpg.cba1f39b574d98930ce557aabd637f15.jpg

Damien Walker

Pto clevis on my 518H

20210330_140027.jpg.970acf5e29070dc3b9cfbb2ce42d8b05.jpg

mike avad

I have a wheel horse 252-H Hydro it dont have that nob on it. and I need to drop that deck to replace the drive belt

peter lena

.@nylyon  interesting , always set mine at lowest height setting for easier slide out removal , no references to storage prep /  opportunity , to clean , and oil soak down before months of  non use. I  also  fine file my blades , at this stage , before oil soak , leaving it upside down to hold and allow lubrication soak in . notice the opportunity and  correlation to the  deck drop ?  my decks are oil stained black  with gear lube , no rust / rot / cracks / splitting . only an idea , also like to do this during the usage period , with a hot sun dry out / soak in . prop them up to the sun , for maximum dry out and soak in , inspect  , blade touch up . lucas grease . pete

Rick3478
On 1/25/2021 at 9:05 AM, KAA 1973 said:

Had to revive this thread, I also have to use tools to remove the mower belt from the PTO of my 312-8.

Trying to figure out why I can't remove the rod, when I remove the hair pin I can drop the rod down but it hits

the top of the PTO pulley, just like in the picture above. If I lift the rod it hits the bottom of the PTO pulley before it will come out of the hole.

What's the secret to removing the belt without unbolting the bracket?

You don't have to remove the rod (bow).  Just swing it out of the way about ninety degrees toward the rear of the tractor.