Sign in to follow this  
546cowboy

I am confused about a C-175

546cowboy

I bought a C-175 on Ebay ( the zebra one ) that was supposed to be a 417A. Looking at the picture closer you can tell it's a C-175 but anyway, since I discovered that I have been looking at pictures of C-175's and there seems to be a different seat pan.

I have another C-175 and it has a plastic seat pan and I have only found one other picture on-line with that seat pan. All the others I've seen have a steel pan. Is that because of the breakage of the plastic and the steel ones have been used for replacement or did they make them both ways?

I haven't picked the C-175 up yet and won't until the Charlotte show so I really don't know what I'm getting but by the pictures on Ebay it has a steel seat pan.

mavfreak

I have another C-175 and it has a plastic seat pan and I have only found one other picture on-line with that seat pan. All the others I've seen have a steel pan. Is that because of the breakage of the plastic and the steel ones have been used for replacement or did they make them both ways

pretty much replaced cause they broke. I don't think they made them both ways. I have a C161 twin with a briggs and I'm supposed to have the plastic seat pan but I have the metal. Personally I like the looks of the metal one myself

mavfreak

I know there is someone on here that makes reproduction seat pans out of fiberglass. Some have used them and say there good quality. But for the life of me I can't find the post.

546cowboy

I was thinking about repairing that plastic one I have. I have done some fiberglass stuff before and was going to add some sheet metal on the back side where it's cracked. I do like a challenge!

The other part of it is getting the paint to stick to the plastic. I don't believe anyone makes that plastic paint in IH red and having someone mix it up would be costly and maye not work anyway. Besides I do have some extra steel seat pans. Would be nice though to have it original.

Here's what it looks like at present.

100_1081.jpg

C-Series14

I have seen many pics of the fiberglass fender but I do alot of looking! I have several fiberglass fenders, both the old style and new and one of the C-195 reproduction fenders

rmaynard

I know there is someone on here that makes reproduction seat pans out of fiberglass. Some have used them and say there good quality. But for the life of me I can't find the post.

You are thinking of Chris (chr1969)

Kelly

I could be wrong but in 84 I think they put the steel fenders on all the black hoods from the factory, the earlier ones had the plastic, and many have been changed to the metal.

546cowboy

Thanks for the replies. I'll figure it out after I pick it up. :woohoo:

Sparky

I could be wrong but in 84 I think they put the steel fenders on all the black hoods from the factory, the earlier ones had the plastic, and many have been changed to the metal.

Kelly's got it right. 1984 was the last year of the Black Hoods and they came with steel rear fenders in 84 only. All earlier Black Hoods were plastic.

Mike.........

boovuc

Guys,

My 1983 C-175 has a steel pan. I am the 2nd owner of it and knew the first owner well. I asked him about the seat pan and he told me he bought that tractor from the dealer with the steel pan. This may have been as a favor for the customer but I really think you could get late 1983's with steel also.

BooVuc

Mill Hall, PA