Sign in to follow this  
Nick

Built another Horse Hauler

Nick

A few weeks back a friend said he had a cheap trailer for me so I ran right up and hauled it home. But when I got it home and Looked it over turned out the best plan was to cut it up for a rebuild. Had to make a lot of compromises to keep both weight and cost down so odds are Ill end up selling this and building another one. I Just cant get a perfect trailer. :whistle::WRS:

The $75 trailer was a camper frame with no real frame plus what it did have was rusted out in spots. So the cutting wheel came out to remove the axle and the rest went to the scrap yard at $220 a ton. :D

th_trailerrust001.jpg th_trailerrust005.jpg th_pile.jpg th_trailerrust.jpg

The new trailer is 5x8 plus a 12" dovetail and the ramps are 4.5' long. Rub rails work nice to tie down the tractors and also kind of add an extra 4" to the trailer. Just a little more work to do and it will be ready for a real test.

th_5x9003.jpg th_trailertest009.jpg th_trailertest005.jpg th_trailertest003.jpg

kj4kicks

Nice job Nick! The "after" pics are way better than the "before" pics!

TT

That's a :WRS: little trailer, Nick! :whistle:

The stake pockets and rub rails really give it a big trailer look - all you need now are the stakes, sideboards, bows, and tarp and you could have a mobile garage/storage area/tent. (one of my plans from a while back. :D )

Teddy da Bear

Nice job!

Is this the perfect trailer now?

Nick

Nope, still not the perfect trailer. I wanted to make this trailer 6x12 but the axle is only an old 2,000 pounder so I cut it back to 5x9. I guess the perfect smaller trailer would be something like a tandem axle deckover 7x12 with a 3 or 4' dovetail. We have the 8x18+4 14,000 gvw gooseneck for the big stuff.

I might just need a 12 step program for trailers though. In the last 10 years or so I have built, rebuilt or purchased 10 or 12 trailers. :whistle:

T-Mo

Nick,

Maybe not for you, but for me it is the perfect trailer. I have been looking for a little trailer to go along with my 6 x14 that I have now. Something in the 5 x8 range just like that one. Nice trailer I say. :whistle:

Nick

Ive done a bit more work on the trailer since last posting. Put on new tires, a cheap coat of paint and today I built a swing up jack for it. Could have just paid $25 for a new Harbor Freight jack but instead made one by welding some pipe on a jack I had plus another piece on the trailer and drilled holes to pin it up and down. Did I mention Ive priced it to several people so about the time Im done adding things it might be sold so I can start on another trailer project. :whistle:

Tried to get some sparky shots like the video idol Ian. B) :horseplay:

Parts for the project.

5x9trailer008.jpg

Welding pipe on the jack.

5x9trailer009.jpg

Welding pipe on the trailers tounge.

5x9trailer012.jpg

The finished jack and Tounge welds.

5x9trailer002.jpg

5x9trailer010.jpg

Jack mounted up.

5x9trailer003.jpg

DMESS

That's a nice looking little rig Nick. Certainly looks like a professional built job to me! B)

BairleaFarm

That looks real good. My last trailer project went astray - I sold it, before i finished it.

T-Mo

Nick,

An excellent job. B) I love it, it's just the size I'm looking for. It's awesome, and a great looking trailer. :whistle:

perry

nice trailer nick B)

KyBlue

Nice Job!!

Wish my welds looked that good all the time. Still workin on the movin around a round object...

Nick

Thanks for the compliments guys. Hope to give it some real Horse hauling test runs soon. Also want to get it on some scales and see if I did a fair job keeping the weight down. The new tires are rated about 2,000 pounds total so if the trailer is down around 800 that should leave me a safe 1,200 to haul and maybe a bit more than that on the short runs. :whistle:

Scott, My welds vary quit a bit, some look fine and others look scary bad. B) Besides needing two hands to stay stable I just cant see welding. Also doesnt help that Ive got near coke bottle glasses. B)

KyBlue

I guess we're in the same boat. Ive got a light enough lens on my helmet so I can see pretty good when welding, But I still need two hands to stay steady, and like you some look great, others....well not so much!

And as to the glasses... if mine get any thicker, I should have X ray vision!!