Sign in to follow this  
Forest Road

2" receiver and weight bracket

Forest Road

had purchased a 2" receiver hitch off flea bay last year. It had a plow mount built into it as well. For $60ish I didn't think I could go wrong. Well I did. The plow would only mount up w/ the 520 extension bracket. The square ends of the plow interfered with the mounting of the plow on the hitch. And one wold think a 2" receiver would be standard issue. Well I guess the builder was to cheap to purchase a drill bit slightly larger than 5/8" Because I couldn't get a hitch pin to go into it until I attacked it with a die grinder.

So after some time I figured out what I needed.

First off I was going to use a factory style plow hitch. Next I wanted to be able to use a 2" receiver with some sort of weights. I found some suitcase weights and moved on. Finally I also decided I need to be able to remove the assembly for accassional use of a tiller. OK RARE use of a tiller.

So the plow hitch ended up bolting up in typical fashion. The top plates were replaced w/ angle iron and drilled for 2 3/16" grade 8 bolts on each side. A flange was welded to the hitch to keep some of the downward pressure off the bolts.

Now I can add or remove the hitch in about 5 minutes without touching the plow hitch. And the tiller works just fine.

2011-07-08_19-34-39_533.jpg

2011-07-08_19-34-33_337.jpg

2011-07-08_19-35-34_843.jpg

2011-07-08_19-35-34_843.jpg

can whlvr

looks good,similar to the one i built,i used a left over reese hitch and it is nice to have a strong hitch

082.jpg

CRE1992

Well I guess the builder was to cheap to purchase a drill bit slightly larger than 5/8" Because I couldn't get a hitch pin to go into it until I attacked it with a die grinder.

:banghead: I was looking back over this as we talked about it in the past. I'm thinking about making my own, but just for a suitcase weight rack lol.

Thanks for giving me some ideas. :thumbs2:

Charles