Sign in to follow this  
dobeleo

312-A / Switch

dobeleo

I am starting to rewire my 1986 312-A.

I just noticed two switches on the diagram, and am not sure where they both go. I know there is a switch that is engaged when I push in my brake, I assume that is the peddle interlock switch. The diagram shows a parking brake switch. Where does it go?

Dan

Shorewood, IL

dobeleo

Here is a before and after pic

100_0066.jpg

WheelHorse312-ASide.jpg

Years ago, my son was messing with the tractor, and cut all my harnesses, need to make a new one.

Question: I need all new switches and ignition switch, where is the best place to buy them?

TT

Look for two small holes beside the parking brake lock lever slot in the center "console" cover plate.

It's been a few years since I had a 312-A, but I know that's where the switch is on my 1990 416-H. It will be the same type of "micro switch" that's used on the PTO lever.

The pedal interlock switch is the one mounted in the rectangular hole in the left side of the hoodstand assembly and is activated by the tab on the brake rod. (yellow arrow):

brakeswitch.jpg

rmaynard

The parking brake switch is available from Toro #111332, as well as the brake/clutch pedal switch, #110970. The ignition switch #111216 has been changed to 103990 and is also available from Toro, or TSC may have a generic one on their shelf.

As far as the location of the parking brake switch, I think it should be located in this area.

736cb4ff.jpg

I could be wrong on the exact location, but I was looking at a friends 312-? and recall seeing a small micro switch located in this area.

can whlvr

i put a new key switch on my 1989414-8 and my toro dealer actually had one in stock(which is VERY rare for them to have anything even a spark plug)and it was only 16 d,ollars,which isnt too bad ,my tsc does stock anything either :woohoo:

dobeleo

Thanks all for your comments!

I see that the part number for the park safety switch is the same part number as the ones used for the power take off.

When I pulled off the switches, I did continuity tests on them and they were so corroded and would work intermittantly so I am going to replace them all.

When the WH was parked outside before I started working on it, my son cut the wiring harness up so I am making a new one now!

rmaynard

When the WH was parked outside before I started working on it, my son cut the wiring harness up so I am making a new one now!

After all the work you do on the restoration of the tractor itself, it makes a lot of sense to redo the harness as well. I invested in a good crimping tool years ago. Many, if not all, of the original type connectors used in the old wiring harness are still available new. One bad wire or one bad connector can cause hours of headaches.

dobeleo

Oh yea, the wiring that was left was so brittle, the insullation would easily scrap off, wasnt work trying to save it!

My only concern is if the circuit board is good! I cleaned up the contact surfaces good, hope it works!

Dan

Shorwood, IL