Sign in to follow this  
lcerbone

1971 wheel horse find

lcerbone

Hello all, I am new to the forums here and to wheel horse tractors

Quick story

My friend is in the rubbage business and a customer wanted him to junk a tractor that was sitting in the yard for years. He called me up to help him out with the task.

The minute I saw it I knew it was too good to just throw out. It is a raider 12, kohler engine model 1 03106 serial 778771. everything seems intact some surface rust no rot. missing the mowing deck but has a wheel horse plow in great shape. hood is nice engine looks good, still has cigarette lighter and keys. There is something bolted to the wheel rims check picture maybe someone can tell me what they are. otherwise my questions:

whats the first step to trying to get it started

is there anything i need to do to ignition if it doesnt turn over with new battery

is it worth any money (meaning is it worth me to attempt to repair/restore

thanx all

i would post pics but i cant seem to figure out how

lcerbone

pictures

IMG_0506.jpg

IMG_0504.jpg

Kelly

Looks to be in pretty good shape, missing the drive belt guard, and those are wheel weights on the rear wheels those alone are a good find.

dcrage

Those are steel wheel weights bolted to your rims -- Probably Wheel Horse weights although that I am not sure of -- My impression is those weights are worth quite a bit more than the newer plastic coated concrete ones

lillbiker

looks like wheel weaights to me yes its worth restoring order good find :woohoo:

lillbiker

sorry you can order manual from toro if they have it chances are they do

jpmcleod

Looks a little bow legged but other than that, I would restore it in a minute.

Horse'n Around

Howdy :woohoo: Nice score, Im glad that you saved it from the scrap yard.

corn53

Really nice score!!! Wheel weights over 100 bucks and same with the plow. Looks like the headlight lens is still intact and is that a electric clutch? That thing is well worth fixing. Check for spark when u replace the battery. If none then clean ur points. Also drain the gas and add fresh stuff. If u know how to clean the carb it wouldnt be a bad idea either. Once she runs check the shifter boot on the tranny. If cracked it should be replaced and change the tranny oil before driving around alot. Good luck :woohoo:

Shuboxlover

I think it's all junk.....better just give it to me, I'll even buy your gas!!! :D

GREAT FIND!!!!!!!

I would LOVE some of those weights :ROTF::woohoo: :D

rmaynard

:woohoo: Where are you located?

That tractor has a very simple wiring arrangement. There are no safety switches in the starter circuit, so you have direct path from the battery, through the ignition switch, to the starter. Your tractor does not have a starter solenoid. To begin, make sure all of your grounds are good.

The most vulnerable component in the circuit is the ignition switch. Since there is no solenoid to carry the load of the starter, the entire load goes though the switch. If you need to replace the switch, it must be a high amperage one.

I think that if the engine runs, you have a nice tractor to restore.

Here is a wiring diagram to start with.

30c5e3f4.jpg

lcerbone

thanks all, i am located in New York, I just found the keys to it today in the storage tray. I do have the belt cover in perfect condition. I really would love to restore but the first order of business is to try and get it started. if that happens relatively easy then I will take wheels off. The front wheel bearings are not even there thats why it looks bow legged. i will have to redo the wheels, power wash and then start tinkering. all in all its really solid. I probably will not be selling it if i get running. I would like to try and find the grass deck but I dont need it.

lcerbone

Im sure this will be my new home for a while!!

tommy3horse

Hello and :D

Seem like you got a real dandy there. I ended up with one that came with a nice 36" deck to mow with. In about the same condition, and i got her started by:

removing and flushing the fuel tank, replace all rubber fuel lines, installing a filter. Then I rebuilt the carb after soaking it and then blowing it out with compressed air. Then check, clean or replace the points. Change the oil, its only 2 qts.

Should be about ready to start.

A good weekend of "tinkering" should do it. Have fun.

Great find too.... :woohoo:

Tom

:ROTF:

rmaynard

I'm sure this will be my new home for a while!!

It's a good place to call home. There is usually someone around that has answers to your questions.

Parts searches can be done at any one of many search engines. Here are two:

https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?...es&xCaller=Toro

http://www.smallenginepartswarehouse.com/parts.asp

Toro parts are getting expensive, but there are alternatives. I get transmission seals and Kohler parts from NAPA. Many parts can be found on eBay, and from member here.

Don't hesitate to ask, even if you think it's a dumb question.

Have a great weekend tinkering.

shootinok

Found!?

FREE??!!

5688621593_eaeb7aa930.jpg

546cowboy

:D Now even NEWBIES are getting FREE Horses. I thought I was doing good getting them at the local wrecking yard for $50. Seems like lately I have been driving 100 milesor more for $200 Horses.

Just venting a little. Great find! I need some of your friends. :woohoo:

Welcome to Red Square.

lcerbone

thanx all , yea it really was a great find. i started cleaning it up today a bit, Im gonna take tank off tomorrow, drain oil and gas and give it a good cleaning. The petcock seems bit rusty so i sprayed it to sit overnite. Picked up rubber hoses for new lines, all in all this thing weathered very well for sitting outside. behind the gas tank where the wires for dash are was covered in some type of nest. I cleaned it out and its like new in there!! That nest must have gave some sort of protection? Hope she turns over. What weight oil should i refill with? If it starts and runs im going to do a full restore including paint (present for my father)

HorseFixer

:D :D

Nice Find! :woohoo:

Cheers ~Duke

:ROTF:

mavfreak

:woohoo:

Scot

I use 30 wt oil in mine