Sign in to follow this  
rockbuilt

coil / voltage regulator

rockbuilt

could a bad voltage regulator cause the coil to burn up?

the reason I ask is I replaced the coil about a year ago and it ran great this year it started running ruff than wouldn't start :woohoo:

so after the usual checks I found that the "new" coil is no longer producing spark could it be I got a bad coil or could something burn them up?

rmaynard

What tractor are we talking about?

rockbuilt

The C195

rmaynard

I don't think the regulator would be at fault. Have you checked the points?

rockbuilt

the first thing I did is check the points I have power to the coil and I have spark to the coil but no spark out of the coil :woohoo:

Anglo Traction

Have you checked the Coil-to-Plug wire, the Plug Cap and the Spark Plug?.

Try swapping over each part at a time (if available) to be sure the Coil is a Gonner.

If it is the Coil, that is a prety short life span for one. :woohoo:

wheeledhorseman

If it is the Coil, that is a prety short life span for one.

Coils can fail after a short period of time - it happened with my daughter's car (automobile) a 1982 Mini I restored for her. We love old things with wheels in this family. I replaced the original coil simply because it was old but the new one failed after a few months so put the original back and it's still working years later. The HT winding inside the coil is made from thousands of turns of very fine copper wire with the thinnest of insulation, a manufacturing flaw in the wire or slight damage to it during the coil being made will lead to premature failure but it is a rare occurrence.

Puzzling ignition faults can lie with the condenser which can generally only be proved by substution with a known good one. A dud condenser results in a very weak spark or no spark at all. It isn't possible to test a condenser with a standard multimeter.

A spark plug can fail internally causing the spark to jump inside it and not at the tip. It has happened on one of my cars.

I have power to the coil and I have spark to the coil

I'm not quite sure what you mean by spark to the coil. If you mean that the supply lead makes a spark when you dab it on the terminal, or even the lead from the points then this is not conclusive - just means there's power there. The points must break this circuit for there to be a spark. Put a voltmeter or bulb across the terminals and slowly turn the engine by hand (having removed the spark plug lead so the engine can't fire up). You should be able to see the voltage dissapear when the points open. If it doesn't then there will be no spark. Either the points aren't opening or there's a short to the frame somewhere.

Hope this may help.

rockbuilt

very helpful, thank you. I put a test light on the coil lead with plugs in and removed and tested to see if the spark broke, and it did. I didn't do it by hand but the result should be the same. I concluded I have spark to the coil. I put new plugs and old plugs test light at the wire head and the coil head no spark from coil. I have already ordered a new coil but was worried if something might burn up the new one. It had a bad coil I replaced it but it didn't even last one year so I hope it was just a bad coil :woohoo:

wheeledhorseman

Ok, so when the new coil is fitted and you can run the engine again it will be worth checking out the rectifier regulator just in case. :woohoo: I

rockbuilt

thank you, I will check that out I don't want to have to buy a new coil next year as usual RS members come through :woohoo:

p.s. it's the C 195 I'm having the issue with