Sign in to follow this  
71_Bronco

Question About Using A Mower Deck

71_Bronco

So I got a mower deck for my Bronco, and it fits great. I have a question about it though.

Say I have the tractor all set up and the deck all mounted. What is the order of steps to get te mower deck going?

I know the motor should be running at full throtle, so my question is this. Do I engage the electric PTO while the motor is up to speed? Or do I lower the throtle, engage the PTO, then build up the speed?

Logic to me says to bring it up to speed instead of engaging at full throtle, but I just thought I would ask, I don't really feel like blowing up my deck, tractor, PTO, or breaking a belt.

Thanks guys, you hve been so helpful so far!

IthacaJeff

I don't know what the manual says, but I put it at 3/4 to full throttle and then slowly

engage the PTO. Running the mower is hard work for the engine and thus it should

be up to speed.

Jeff in Enfield NY

TT

It's a lot easier on the PTO clutch lining, belts, etc. if you engage the PTO at the lowest possible engine RPM - but do it as quickly as possible instead of slipping the PTO clutch - which causes it to wear out more quickly.

Think manual transmission car/truck........ you don't hold it wide open & dump the clutch when taking off from a dead stop.

The exception would be the electric PTO clutches - which I'm not too fond of for those exact reasons.

71_Bronco

One other way that might work, although probably isn't recommended, would be to leave the mule drive loose, engage the PTO, then slowly tighten the mule drive until you reach the correct tension on the belt, and the deck is turning at full speed with the motor.

I think what I am going to do, would be to drive the tractor to where I'm gonna start, lower the throttle, engage the PTO as fast as I can, and then build up the speed.

SAM58

One other way that might work, although probably isn't recommended, would be to leave the mule drive loose, engage the PTO, then slowly tighten the mule drive until you reach the correct tension on the belt, and the deck is turning at full speed with the motor.

I think what I am going to do, would be to drive the tractor to where I'm gonna start, lower the throttle, engage the PTO as fast as I can, and then build up the speed.

:woohoo: TRYING TO ADJUST THE MULE DRIVE WITH THE DECK ENGAGED IS A GOOD WAY TO TEAR SOMETHING UP, OR LOOSE A FINGER.

ADJUST THE MULE DRIVE TO WHEN YOU SWEEZE THE BELT TOGETHER IT MOVES ABOUT 1/2" THEN LEAVE IT ALONG.

HAVE YOUR ENGINE RUNNING AT 1/2 - 3/4 THROTTLE AND ENGAGE THE DECK.

THAT IS WHAT THEY WERE DESIGNED FOR, AND IT WILL LAST FOR YEARS TO COME WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS... :D

71_Bronco

:woohoo: TRYING TO ADJUST THE MULE DRIVE WITH THE DECK ENGAGED IS A GOOD WAY TO TEAR SOMETHING UP, OR LOOSE A FINGER.

ADJUST THE MULE DRIVE TO WHEN YOU SWEEZE THE BELT TOGETHER IT MOVES ABOUT 1/2" THEN LEAVE IT ALONG.

HAVE YOUR ENGINE RUNNING AT 1/2 - 3/4 THROTTLE AND ENGAGE THE DECK.

THAT IS WHAT THEY WERE DESIGNED FOR, AND IT WILL LAST FOR YEARS TO COME WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS... :D

Thanks, I kinda figured it was a bad idea to adjust the Mule Drive while everything is moving, but thank you for clearifying it for me.

Also, thank you for the suggestion on how to engage it. I spoke with a co-worker about it, and he said that if I am too low with the engine RPM's, that I might stall it when suddenly engaging the PTO and the mower, so engaging it at 1/2 to 3/4 sounds like a better idea.

Thanks again

TT

engage the PTO at the lowest possible engine RPM

......which means - fast enough that it won't stall.

The manual actually states that the deck should be lowered and the throttle set to full before engaging the PTO, but the people that wrote the manual don't buy the parts for my tractors/mowers. :woohoo: