Sign in to follow this  
71_Bronco

Oil Question, 14 hp Kohler... More Questions

71_Bronco

Hey guys, need some help.

I have a Bronco 14 with the 14 Horse Kohler cast iron motor in it. I want to do an oil change, but don't know what oil to use. I'm do my own oil changes on my truck, so I know there is different grades and weights and all that, and I wasnt sure if that all carried over into tractors as well.

Also, does anybody have the part number for the correct oil filter?

Thanks allot

SousaKerry

I like to stick to Shell Rotella T SAE 30W, you can do a search on this board on oil and will have a never ending list of reading material.

Old K series Kohlers do not have oil filters they use a non pressurized oil sump the action of the crank splashes the oil inside the motor to keep things lubed up. Oil filters only appeared on twin cylinder engines as an option and on the more modern engines with overhead valves.

71_Bronco

I like to stick to Shell Rotella T SAE 30W, you can do a search on this board on oil and will have a never ending list of reading material.

Old K series Kohlers do not have oil filters they use a non pressurized oil sump the action of the crank splashes the oil inside the motor to keep things lubed up.

SousaKerry

pour it in the dip stick hole

and stick to the Rotella T it is a diesel or heavy duty engine oil and has more zink additives that regular automotive oils no longer have

I find SAE 30 weight at my local auto parts store or Tractor Supply type places have it, the big box stores probably won't have it.

71_Bronco

pour it in the dip stick hole

and stick to the Rotella T it is a diesel or heavy duty engine oil and has more zink additives that regular automotive oils no longer have

I find SAE 30 weight at my local auto parts store or Tractor Supply type places have it, the big box stores probably won't have it.

Sounds good, thanks. I had read about the HD stuff for the deisel tractors and I have heard some older desial trucks call for it. I will use that, as it sounds like a better oil, and is probably easier to find then just standard, run-of-the-mill SAE 30.

Thanks for all the help!