Sign in to follow this  
trainman

PTO service interval?

trainman

I got a wheel horse 211-5 last October it's a 1986 I have done a tune up on it bought new blades going to paint it soon. When I engage the blades I hear a horrible grinding noise and I am fearing the PTO bearings are dry or shot. I have not found any zerks or needle fittings to grease the bearings in it. Should I tear it down and pack the bearings or just replace them? Whoever owned the tractor before me was not good on keeping the maintenance up to date. As with a older post I have used a whole can of PB blaster penetrating oil to get the rear wheels off the axle with no luck. I removed the washers and C clip and see if that will do it. I am not getting any info on the last post I posted, hopefully I am not driving the WH people nuts with all my questions. :woohoo:

rmaynard

I am not familiar with the vertical PTO's, but according to the parts diagram, it looks like there are a couple bearings. A needle bearing and a couple ball bearings. You could try cleaning and re-lubing them, and if that doesn't fix it, replace them. Too much belt tension can wear out bearings pretty quickly, so be sure you don't have the belt too tight.