Sign in to follow this  
closha63

Missed the show

closha63

I have a 1970 Charger 12 with a k301 and 42'' mower deck. I just painted my new wheels and put new tuff tread and i found that my axle seals leak. Can anyone please tell me where to order new ones. Also i was mowing and i found that my pto clutch is weak (slips) anyone have this for sale? And i am also looking for both drive belt and pto belt. Any help would be great. Just trying to get by and keep up with the mowing. thanks

tunahead72

I'm not real familiar with the Charger series, but I'll try to get you started here.

How bad are your axle seals leaking? If you only need to top up your fluid every once in a while, you may be able to wait until the fall to replace them when you have less mowing to do. On the other hand, if they're leaving puddles every time you park it for the night, you probably should take care of them sooner.

It's not a hard job, there's a bunch of threads on this forum that outline the whole process. The hardest part could be removing the hubs from the axles, you need to make sure you don't beat on them, you could actually knock the axle right out of the transmission if you're too rough.

Any problems with the transmission itself? Is this an 8-speed or an automatic? Any play in the axles or the other shafts? Does it shift well, no nasty noises or grinding? How does the fluid look?

Parts can be found in a lot of places. Do you have a Toro dealer nearby? They're usually easy, but probably expensive. There's lots of good online suppliers -- PartsTree.com, JacksSmallEngines.com, MowPart.com, .... A lot of NAPA dealers carry Kohler parts, and may be able to get you seals and belts also.

Do you have manuals for your tractor, engine and mower? They're really helpful for finding part numbers and seeing how things are supposed to go together. Toro and Kohler have some you can download for free, you'll need your model numbers to find them, a lot of the online suppliers have diagrams also.

Hope this helps!

--------

Guys, he's near York Springs, PA, about 15 miles east of the big show -- does anybody know any local parts suppliers out that way?

closha63

It is an automatic trans with no problems besides the axle leak and belt broken.