Sign in to follow this  
Suburban 550

Got The One I Wanted

Suburban 550

After a few years with no luck finding the one I wanted and after drooling over my good friend Denny Clarks 701 I finally found the one I was lookin' for at the show. It is a fairly original (never repainted) rustic lookin (no pitted rust) 701 that made its way from Arkansas. It's missing the rear hitch and lift cable and someone decided to cut a nearly perfect hood and put a hinge on it. :woohoo: The 702 project that I started is now on the back burner and the 701 is now my main priority to have fully restored for next years show. Here are a few pics I took after a quick cleanup today.

IMG_0685.jpg

IMG_0687.jpg

IMG_0684.jpg

IMG_0683.jpg

IMG_0690.jpg

IMG_0692.jpg

IMG_0686.jpg

IMG_0688.jpg

Don't ya just love the hinged hood? It should be a pretty easy fix with the nice straight cut they made.

IMG_0689.jpg

Some of the goodies I bought at the show for it

IMG_0681.jpg

stevebo

So that is where that 701 went..... Glad you got it !!

Kelly

Looks like a very nice one to restore, and looks complete with the hard to find items.

Suburban 550

So that is where that 701 went..... Glad you got it !!

Steve, the seller was a great guy and didn't bend alot with the price. BTW, thanks for helping out at his trailer and thanks again for one of the drag links I needed. :D Great seein' you again. :woohoo:

rmaynard

Ray,

When I heard it run after the solenoid problem was resolved, I was really surprised at how good it sounds. You've got a real sweet machine there. I know it will look great at next year's show.

:woohoo:

Bob

Horse'n Around

Ray, I know that you really wanted that one,Im glad that you were able to get it. I was bummed at what they did to that hood too when I saw it at the show. I guess we look at things now as Wheel Horse nuts and collectors a bit differently that folks did when they bought them new and were messing with them on a whim when they were new and common. You'll have that hood fixed as good as new in no time!

Congratulations Buddy :woohoo:

John

Suburban 550

Looks like a very nice one to restore, and looks complete with the hard to find items.

Kelly, like you said it is pretty much complete with the hard to find items. The double pulley engine belt guards at the show were selling between $125 and $150 and if you had to buy one with missin' parts it would cost a fortune to restore. That is the way I like to find them, pretty much complete and not one that someone redid before. Nothin' like grinding into a hood to find it full of bondo. :woohoo:

JimD

That's a dandy Ray. Can't wait to see what you do with it. Work your magic buddy, it'll be fun to follow this one. :woohoo:

dclarke

Looks like original choke and throttle cables Ray, Nice! :woohoo:

Suburban 550

Looks like original choke and throttle cables Ray, Nice! :woohoo:

Denny, I hope I get it to look as good as yours. :D

bell

It is ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL Ray! :woohoo:

stevasaurus

Ray...what a difference after a little cleanup. :woohoo: I know you are like a kid in a candy store over this horse. Looking forward to the resto mate. :D

can whlvr

awsome lookin tractor,they really are classics

312Hydro

Nice find! I'm really starting to appreciate these older tractors. They have a great look! :woohoo:

Suburban 550

Thanks guys for all the compliments. :D Duke, it's amazing how close the serial numbers are. :D

Well today I came home early from campin' and like my pal Stevasaurus said I'm like a kid in a candy store over this 701 and figured today would be the day to get a good start on it. Still debating on keeping it tore down and painting or totally going over it from top to bottom making it mechanically sound, reassembling it and try to take it to the LAGC Extravaganza in Dover, Pa. in August unpainted and possibly the Steam-o-rama also. After that, a complete teardown and paint over the winter months. :ROTF: Here are some pics from todays progress:

Motor pulled out

IMG_0693.jpg

Seat and backrest removed

IMG_0695.jpg

Dash, contols and wiring pulled out

IMG_0696.jpg

Rear fenders and tool box removed

IMG_0697.jpg

Dash tower, gas tank and steering wheel removed

IMG_0698.jpg

Bottom steering support broken

IMG_0701.jpg

IMG_0703.jpg

The roll pin in the fan gear broke in 3 pieces

IMG_0702.jpg

Chassis all cleaned up and degreased with new roll pins installed where needed, new drag ling installed and correct shifter and new shifter boot put on. Front end is nice and tight now. If I can't buy another bottom steering support I will have that one welded.

IMG_0707.jpg

K-161 sitting on the garage floor waiting for a carburetor rebuild and a complete tune up

IMG_0710.jpg

IMG_0712.jpg

Rolling chassis sittin' along the last 702 I got that was supposed to be done next. For those who were at the show and got to see that 702 at the cruise night it's a real runner.

IMG_0713.jpg

Next on the agenda will be the transmission, total rewiring, carburetor rebuild, and complete tune up. Both the hood and the belt guard need some fabrication work.

Thanks for lookin' and hope you enjoy the pics. :woohoo:

stevasaurus

I am thinking you are going for the complete tear down at this point. :D And why not??? If you need anything...let me know...got a good network here. :ROTF: I am looking forward to this one Ray. :woohoo:

JimD

Great progress for a day. Might as well go for it while it's down Ray. :woohoo:

HorseFixer

Yep take it all the way, :D and take that new engine that came off the Ole 701 I had and use thet in the rebuild as it is the correct engine! :woohoo: No need to half jack it at this point cause Mine will be right next to you at the show! :D That way I can let all that SHINEY PAINT jump off yers onto mine! :P

Cheers ~Duke

:ROTF:

Suburban 550

The bottom steering support was sent to the welder yesterday. It's cast so it's beyond my capability as far as welding is concerned. It will have to do til' I find another one. Still waiting for some more parts that will probably be here by the weekend. Hate the thought of the paint work because nothing seems to satisfy me and I want this one to be perfect. :woohoo:

Butch

Hate the thought of the paint work because nothing seems to satisfy me and I want this one to be perfect. :woohoo:

You work in an auto body shop! You have an advantage most of us don't have. Now get that sucker stripped and painted!

71_Bronco

Lookin good, I like that style tractor, very nice find =)

buckrancher

Ray

besure to double up the pins in the steering fan and lower steering shaft gear

(1/4" with a 5/32 inside of it)

Brian

stevasaurus

Hate the thought of the paint work because nothing seems to satisfy me and I want this one to be perfect. :woohoo:

You work in an auto body shop! You have an advantage most of us don't have. Now get that sucker stripped and painted!

OK Ray...I think I have a "Paint Flaw Police" jacket hanging in the closet...I'll bring it to next year's show. :D

Butch

Ray

Brian

God I love this kinda talk! :D I have no idea what Brian is saying but I love this kinda talk. :ROTF: :woohoo:

stevasaurus

Ray

Brian

God I love this kinda talk! :D I have no idea what Brian is saying but I love this kinda talk. :D:woohoo:

Butch...it is a flaw in the design...where they had the original roll pin in the steering linkage in the early round hoods...1962 included. The roll pin either worked itself out to a point, and bent or broke, or came out. WH put out a Service Bulletin that put a smaller roll pin inside of the existing one that cured the problem. Easy fix, but we still run into horses that did not have this done. :P Here is picture that shows that we have talked about this.... :D Man I am going to get to use this a lot. :ROTF:

IMG_1673_resize.jpg