Sign in to follow this  
Kingwood990

244-H carb issues

Kingwood990

The carb on my Wheel Horse is giving me trouble. The tractor had been sitting for a few years. I have taken the carb off of the tractor and cleaned it out with carb cleaner. When I pulled the bowl off of the carb it was full of dried up fuel. After cleaning that out and soaking the carb in cleaner for a few hours I put it back together and installed it on the tractor. I went to start the tractor after cleaning the carb and the engine is acting like it is not getting fuel.

I have checked the gas tank and it is clean. I have pulled the fuel line off of the carb and verified that it is not blocked. The barb on the side of the carb where the fuel line attaches to the carb is blocked. I have tried spraying it with carb cleaner, soaking it with carb cleaner and also soaked the carb in chem-dip. I also tried blowing out the barb with compressed air and that did not help.

The engine is a Onan E140V single. The carb is a Nikki.

I have enclosed some pictures of the carb.

23uepll.jpg

I can not find the fuel pump if this engine has one. I have checked the tractors manual and there is not a fuel pump. When I checked the engine manual it says there is a fuel pump.

When you prime the carb, the tractor will run in till it uses up the fuel in the carb.

Here is a picture of the barb. I believe it is blocked.

2evc0ol.jpg

mr.pipes

I don't think there is a fuel pump on those machines. The tank is above the carb so it is not needed.

Did you replace the fuel inlet needle and seat in the carb?

If it runs a little some gas must be betting through the barbed fitting.

You could try a thin wire through the fitting to clean it out.

If you disconnect the fuel line at the carb does the gas flow?

With the fuel line connected and tank full, remove the bowl and put a container below it and see if gas comes out and test if the float stops the supply.

If that works you could have a bad gas cap but usually it will run longer before getting fuel starved.

:hide:

Kingwood990

I don't think there is a fuel pump on those machines. The tank is above the carb so it is not needed.

Did you replace the fuel inlet needle and seat in the carb?

If it runs a little some gas must be betting through the barbed fitting.

You could try a thin wire through the fitting to clean it out.

If you disconnect the fuel line at the carb does the gas flow?

With the fuel line connected and tank full, remove the bowl and put a container below it and see if gas comes out and test if the float stops the supply.

If that works you could have a bad gas cap but usually it will run longer before getting fuel starved.

:WRS:

:hide: for responding mr.pipes. I am glad I joined.

I have not replaced the fuel inlet needle and seat yet. If I can not get the barb cleaned out I will by buying a carb kit.

When I disconnect the fuel line at the carb, gas flows out of the line but not out of the carb.

I have removed the bowl and gas does not come out. I have checked the float and it is in good shape.

I have tried running a wire through the fitting and a little varnish did come out of the barb. I will keep trying that. I think I might need a thicker wire.

mr.pipes

I am not familiar with that carb but it certainly seems your problem in in the fuel inlet fitting.

I would try to remove it if that would make it any easier to clean it out.

It could be threaded or pressed in.

Also make sure the inlet seat isn't clogged.

Can you remove the needle seat without damaging it?

Kingwood990

I am not familiar with that carb but it certainly seems your problem in in the fuel inlet fitting.

I would try to remove it if that would make it any easier to clean it out.

It could be threaded or pressed in.

Also make sure the inlet seat isn't clogged.

Can you remove the needle seat without damaging it?

I believe the fuel inlet fitting is pressed in.

I am not sure if I can remove the needle seat with out damaging it. I think I will attempt this after I get the carb kit. I want to make sure I have some spare parts before I tear this thing apart.

shorts

first :hide:

looking at the second picture makes me wonder if the rubber line on the left might be a pulse line to an integrel pump under the flat plate on top of the carb, did you remove the carb and disassemble it to clean it? if not, first try

removing the fuel line and use aerosol carb cleaner with the straw in the fuel inlet, odds are good that you have an old gas/varnish buildup in the needle/seat and it will open up if you spray it a couple of times to soften the goo up and flush it out.

if that doesn't work remove the carb and disassemble it for a proper rebuild.

mr.pipes

first :hide: remove the fuel line and use aerosol carb cleaner with the straw in the fuel inlet, odds are good that you have an old gas/varnish buildup in the needle/seat and it will oopen up if you spray it a couple of times to soften the goo up

He already soaked the carb in chem-dip, sprayed inside with carb cleaner and tried blowing out the barb with compressed air.

Kingwood990

first :WRS:

looking at the second picture makes me wonder if the rubber line on the left might be a pulse line to an integrel pump under the flat plate on top of the carb, did you remove the carb and disassemble it to clean it? if not, first try

removing the fuel line and use aerosol carb cleaner with the straw in the fuel inlet, odds are good that you have an old gas/varnish buildup in the needle/seat and it will open up if you spray it a couple of times to soften the goo up and flush it out.

if that doesn't work remove the carb and disassemble it for a proper rebuild.

:hide: for the welcome shorts. I have tried everything you have mentioned except for rebuilding the carb. I will get to the Toro dealer in the area later this week and try to order a carb kit. I want to make sure I have the kit before I tear the carb apart.

In this manual there is some good pictures of what the carb looks like and it also shows the fuel pump.

https://lookup3.toro.com/classes/doGetPub/?pubid=6916

TT

If you've already had the carb opened up and put it back together, it's a bit late for a typical "kit".

Reason being, a "carb kit" generally consists of the few gaskets and/or o-rings needed to seal the gas in & the dirt out. Some of the better kits include the float needle (and seat - when applicable) and maybe a few mixture needles.

You might find leakage when you finally get proper flow into the carb, but save your money until you see what happens.

If the fuel inlet is actually blocked, the cleaner you used isn't aggressive enough or the carb didn't soak long enough. You can either try soaking it again for at least 24 hours - or...............

Do you have access to a propane torch? Perhaps you could disassemble the carb again ,(float bowl, float, and needle assembly) wash it in dish detergent (to remove gasoline residue & fumes) and then heat the inlet tube up hot enough to turn the blockage into ash - or at least loosen it enough to get some aerosol cleaner through it. The worst that could happen would be the inlet tube loosening up in the carb body - which I seriously doubt will occur.

Kingwood990

If you've already had the carb opened up and put it back together, it's a bit late for a typical "kit".

Reason being, a "carb kit" generally consists of the few gaskets and/or o-rings needed to seal the gas in & the dirt out. Some of the better kits include the float needle (and seat - when applicable) and maybe a few mixture needles.

You might find leakage when you finally get proper flow into the carb, but save your money until you see what happens.

If the fuel inlet is actually blocked, the cleaner you used isn't aggressive enough or the carb didn't soak long enough. You can either try soaking it again for at least 24 hours - or...............

Do you have access to a propane torch? Perhaps you could disassemble the carb again ,(float bowl, float, and needle assembly) wash it in dish detergent (to remove gasoline residue & fumes) and then heat the inlet tube up hot enough to turn the blockage into ash - or at least loosen it enough to get some aerosol cleaner through it. The worst that could happen would be the inlet tube loosening up in the carb body - which I seriously doubt will occur.

Thanks TT.

I have a propane torch but I really do not want to use it on this carb. I think I will try soaking the carb longer this time. I only soaked it for a hour. I think leaving it over night should do the trick. If that does not work I will try the propane torch.

mr.pipes

The link isn't working for me.

So there is a fuel pump?

Is the tank just below the hood, behind the steering wheel?

You did say you get fuel from the line when you disconnect from the carb correct?

I say tear into the carb now anyways, you may not need the kit.

I saw a nikki carb kit on ebay and the needle looked similar to a kohler.

It sounds like your problem is from the elbow to the needle.

Pull the needle and seat and try carb cleaner, air and a wire. Or soak it longer in the Chem-dip.

If that doesn't flow you need to clean the elbow better

If the problem is in the barbed elbow, the kit won't have one of those anyway.

Kingwood990

The link isn't working for me.

So there is a fuel pump?

Is the tank just below the hood, behind the steering wheel?

You did say you get fuel from the line when you disconnect from the carb correct?

I say tear into the carb now anyways, you may not need the kit.

I saw a nikki carb kit on ebay and the needle looked similar to a kohler.

It sounds like your problem is from the elbow to the needle.

Pull the needle and seat and try carb cleaner, air and a wire. Or soak it longer in the Chem-dip.

If that doesn't flow you need to clean the elbow better

If the problem is in the barbed elbow, the kit won't have one of those anyway.

In the manual for the engine there is a fuel pump. I believe the fuel pump is used for other tractors that this engine was used in.

The gas tank is below the hood in front of the steering wheel.

When I disconnect the fuel line from the carb fuel does come out of the line.

I want to pull the needle and seat but I am afraid the gasket is going to get torn. I want to make sure I can get gaskets for this carb before I do to much more to it.

I am going to go pull the carb apart again and see what I can do.

Kingwood990

Well I have the carb apart again and it is soaking in chem-dip. I will be soaking it over night.

I have removed the needle and seat successfully with out tearing the gasket. I do how ever need to get the bowl to carb body gasket. The original is not in the best of shape.

I will let every one know what happens tomorrow when I try to clean out the fuel inlet.

Kingwood990

Well I have the carb apart again and it is soaking in chem-dip. I will be soaking it over night.

I have removed the needle and seat successfully with out tearing the gasket. I do how ever need to get the bowl to carb body gasket. The original is not in the best of shape.

I will let every one know what happens tomorrow when I try to clean out the fuel inlet.

Well after soaking the carb over night in chem-dip you would think what ever gunk that was left in the carb would be gone right? Wrong. I am still stuck at square one.

I did take a piece of string and stick it down the fuel inlet. When I pulled the string out it was black. I think I will keep trying to clean out the inlet with the string. If this does not work I will try another chem-dip bath.

Kingwood990

I got the fuel inlet cleaned out. I stuffed a piece of string in the fuel inlet after spraying it with carb cleaner. Every time I would pull the string out a bunch of build up and gunk came out with the string.

TT

:woohoo: Now we get to watch videos instead of looking at pictures, right? :D

Kingwood990

:D Now we get to watch videos instead of looking at pictures, right? :ROTF:

Well you are going to have to put up with pictures in till I can figure out how to film with my camera :woohoo:. Once I figure out that I will start a youtube channel with my WH and other machines. :D