Sign in to follow this  
etag1949

new to here - in CT

etag1949

I'm new here. Just picked up a well maintained C-161 auto that apparently had been mowing the same mainly shaded acre since new and up until a month ago when the PTO clutch went out of adjustment and the belt was stretched just enough to have to P.O. listen to his wife and buy a new Husq. Needs PTO belt(s), a muffler, some adjusting and minor cleaning before I put it the purpose it was designed for more than 30 years ago - working like the horse it is.

Could use a few links and/or local (live near Danbury and work in Hartford) parts sources to get me started if it wouldn't be too much bother.

Picture in the dark from a few minutes ago:

wh_C161atnite.jpg

VinsRJ

:hide:

Sparky

We have a few members from out your way. Hopefully one of em chimes in with some local places to get parts. Any TORO dealers near you? Thats the best place to start.

Mike.........

stevebo

Etag, welcome from a life long Danbury resident and recently moved up to New Milford last August. Let me know what parts you need and maybe I can help. For new parts Napa is a pretty good source (mufflers, points, plugs air filters etc.). They carry most in stock. Feel free to pm me if you want to talk I will give you my number.

ps how did I miss that sweet tractor ?? Was it listed for sale locally or did you know the po ??

etag1949

Etag, welcome from a life long Danbury resident and recently moved up to New Milford last August. Let me know what parts you need and maybe I can help. For new parts Napa is a pretty good source (mufflers, points, plugs air filters etc.). They carry most in stock. Feel free to pm me if you want to talk I will give you my number.

ps how did I miss that sweet tractor ?? Was it listed for sale locally or did you know the po ??

thanks, man - completely 4got about NAPA - that's who we depended upon growing up early-late '60s. Coincidentally, drove past Glastonbury (where I grew up) Auto Parts on Sunday. I'm in Newtown now. Will ping you for sure at some point.

dunno...

Link removed. Links to craigslist or eBay items other than your own are not allowed - nylyon

Got it for 250 - PO is a gr8 79 y.o. man. Said the tractor came with the house when he bought it 16 years ago.

know who got these (if they're sold)?

Link removed - nylyon

I really wanted the 520-H - left message with his wife and never got a call-back.

When the C-161 come up, I jumped on it.

Ernie

W9JAB
image001-1.jpg

stevebo

I passed by the one you bought as it said 17hp tecky.... nice pick up !!!

dennist

:WRS: Very nice Tractor. :hide:

WheelHorseSteve

Welcome to Red Square! I also live in Newtown and have a C-160 Auto. My next door neighbor is restoring a C-161 Auto. From the looks of that picture, you found a good one!

SALTYWRIGHT

:hide: FROM NORWALK, CT. RUSS

WHC-125

:hide: from Chris in Naugatuck

etag1949

I passed by the one you bought as it said 17hp tecky.... nice pick up !!!

they only came as 16s Kohler or Briggs.

He looked after my 1st call and got back to me before I went to see it.

shorts

:hide: looks like a super deal. NAPA is always a good place for parts, I also like to use my local independant factory authorized Kohler dealer that has been in buiseness for ever, not the closest place but he knows small engines and stocks the ''hard to get K series parts'' just take the serial and spec numbers

c175inMA

varosd

welcome aboard! nice looking C-161

Don V

raised in Cheshire, CT...now in PA

VinsRJ

etag, as you can see there is a large CT :hide: clan, keep an eye out, we tend to get together once or twice a year for our own show. :WRS:

corn53

:hide: Nice :WRS:

fireman

:hide: I'm in Sherman

Ken B

Welcome, been in Danbury for 43 yrs.

etag1949

PTO-deck drive belt replaced and rough adjustments done yesterday. Pics are today - this draft horse can work - my 9y.o. and I made hay today.

after the first pass -"front" yard - other man toy in the background

20110626103018.jpg

mid-day break - ran out of gas....

20110626130414.jpg

...as far away from the house as possible

20110626130726.jpg

here's Jojo soloing the second pass in front after working in the tall grass all day. First time she's driven anything - doesn't even ride a bike.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-4dtsfwRD...10626174503.jpg

Kelly

:woohoo: You don't see many that vintage (78-79) with tail lights, and those look factory, most have headlights with reflectors on the back.

jimbotelho

:woohoo: I am in newfairfield ct have a few machines the bug does bite so be careful welcome aboard and although I do not have as much knowledge as others Im here if needed Big jim :D

Coadster32

...as far away from the house as possible

If you're going to do it, at least you did it right. :woohoo:

Check out the links pinned for good parts sources.

JC 1965

:D Hello and :woohoo:

etag1949

Thanks for dropping by (and the seat), Steve.

av-2901.jpg

Ran it after dark with the lights on. Left taillight needs a bulb and the plastic over the headlights is a bit melted. Steve guessed (and I concur) that the muffler is probably the cause as the weld at the top is broken.

Also, wondered about the 2 holes on the hood. Steve says he's seen some with hood ornaments. I think I'd rather mount a large HID light there and wire it into the headlights.