Sign in to follow this  
kj4kicks

TT's new 856

TT

The 856 "took ill" yesterday and decided not to start. :wtf:

A lack of fuel problem was traced to a severely gummy fuel line that was sucking shut from the vacuum from the fuel (water? :whistle: ) pump. Pieces of the inside of the rubber hose also plugged the hole at the check valve disc in the fuel pump.

I bought some new hose and an inline filter this morning (another story to come from that "shopping trip" later! :WRS: ) and replaced everything from the tank to the fuel pump. The pump was then disassembled, cleaned, and reinstalled. A few cranks of the starter/generator and it was running like a new one again! :D

I took it across the road to "the land of broken John Deeres" and mowed the neighbor's entire yard without one single problem. (and all on about 1/3 gallon of gas! :D )

TT

I thought it would be nice to do a follow-up on the 856 since it's been out of the spot light for a while.

When the neighbors JD broke, grass mowing duty across the road fell in my lap. (more or less) I used my old B-80 a few times and then used the 856 a few times.

My son "Hobie" got to pilot the 856 the next time, but it suddenly stopped moving in mid-mow! B) Transmission input shaft bearing failure was traced to a lubrication problem, (there wasn't any oil in the transmission! B) ) but I managed to free up the shaft and added lots of oil. Hobie finished all but one little section of grass before the last and final lock-up occured, and the 856 was pushed in to the garage where it sat until last evening.

I quickly found out why this machine was so wheelie-friendly when I removed the wheel bolts..... filled tires! B)

The transmission is out and on the bench, and as soon as I get the input pulley removed, it will be split for evaluation of internal condition. If I can keep my hands clean enough, I'll get some pictures. :whistle:

HorseFixer

I thought it would be nice to do a follow-up on the 856 since it's been out of the spot light for a while.

When the neighbors JD broke, grass mowing duty across the road fell in my lap. (more or less) I used my old B-80 a few times and then used the 856 a few times.

My son "Hobie" got to pilot the 856 the next time, but it suddenly stopped moving in mid-mow! B) Transmission input shaft bearing failure was traced to a lubrication problem, (there wasn't any oil in the transmission! :banghead: ) but I managed to free up the shaft and added lots of oil. Hobie finished all but one little section of grass before the last and final lock-up occured, and the 856 was pushed in to the garage where it sat until last evening.

I quickly found out why this machine was so wheelie-friendly when I removed the wheel bolts..... filled tires! :whistle:

The transmission is out and on the bench, and as soon as I get the input pulley removed, it will be split for evaluation of internal condition. If I can keep my hands clean enough, I'll get some pictures. B)

Ya know I just have to ask this question....... B) What kind of EARL did ya use B)

Duke

TT

Ya know I just have to ask this question....... B) What kind of EARL did ya use :whistle:

Duke

That's the problem, Duke. I didn't use ANY kind of "EARL" -- it was EARL-LESS.

It's not as bad as one would think, considering that it actually locked up twice.

The outer input shaft bearing suffered the worst, and the input shaft has some light chatter marks.

The left outer axle bearing was also destroyed (had nothing to do with lack of oil - the cage broke apart and the needles shifted) and one of the through-bolts on the differential was broke in half. Typical finds in a 42 year old "virgin" transmission. B)

kj4kicks

I quickly found out why this machine was so wheelie-friendly when I removed the wheel bolts..... filled tires! B)

Awww, man !! If I'd have known that, I would have jaked the price up a bit. :whistle:

CasualObserver

Umm..... were tires filled with the missing tranny oil? B) or EARL as the new vernacular appears to be! :whistle:

TT

You could be on to something there, Jason! :whistle:

I thought the wetness near the valve stems was from leaky axle seals. B)

TT

OK..... it's back together now. (sorry - no pictures B) )

I pulled the second transmission apart and decided to use the right half of it, since the input shaft & bearings and axle bearing were all in good condition. (I said it was the left axle bearing before, but it was actually the right side. :banghead: )

Everything went back together well, and I replaced the axle seals and the brake shaft seal while it was apart. There was one little tight spot when I turned the rear axle B) , but once together and in the tractor, it ended up being fine.

I borrowed a battery from Hobie and took it for a test drive, and it works and sounds fine. B)

Now I need to do some welding on the rear fender, belt guard, and the hood stand, install an new ignition switch, and find a more normal seat. (and buy another new battery since the one I just bought for the 856 is in the Gravely I just sold. :whistle: )

And, Duke..... it is now filled with Wal*Mart's finest Super-Tech 80-90wt gear oil. B)

kj4kicks

WTG TT !!

Never a doubt in my mind that it would live to pull another wheelie !

YAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!