Sign in to follow this  
fourwheels0

throttle cable setup

fourwheels0

ok a friend and i just rebuilt my 8hp kohler and i need to know how to set up and adjust my throttle cable.

right now it almost goes to full throttle with very little movement of the lever.

this is on a 1979 c-81 tractor.

i really need pics to see how the stock setup is configured.

thanks.

rmaynard

Do you have it connected to the carburetor or the governor? Should be connected to the governor. I will try to find some pictures for you.

fourwheels0

it's connected to the governor but i know somethings not right.

rmaynard

This same question came up last year. I have searched briefly, but have been unable to come up with the thread I had in mind. I will keep looking, but maybe someone else remembers and will give you some help.

daveoman1966

here is a pic of the throttle connection... and the choke on opposite side.

Attached Image

post-61-1307939226.jpg

fourwheels0

ok we got it dialed in.

it was a pain in the butt but it's done.

thanks guys.

tunahead72

Congratulations! :hide:

I just went through a similar process on my 310-8, a different setup than yours, but likewise a pain in the rear. Turns out there's some bad information in the WH service manual. It's better now, not perfect, but under control and close enough until I can hook up a tach to tweak it a bit.

Check it out if you're interested, it's kind of a work in progress:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=29293

I see you're going to be at the show this weekend, I'll be there Saturday, have fun!

fourwheels0

thanks ya i still need to fine tune it. it want's to "hunt" some still.

i,ve been tinkering with the points as it was knocking real bad. it's better now but could still use some fine tuning.

these setups are a pain to get dialed in well at least for me they are lol.

ya i went to the show friday just for the day and picked up a few things.

have fun :hide: .

tunahead72

I'm certainly no expert here, just a couple of thoughts:

• [*:24cj7r53]Is your governor set properly?[*:24cj7r53]I don't know if changing your timing will eliminate a knock, but have you checked out this "static" timing method?
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=18422

Good time at the show (went Saturday), looks like your "new" C-160 will handle your snow jobs!

fourwheels0

well i still need to mess with the c-81. i reset the points to 17 (i put kohler points in it) and it seems better but i think i need to mess with the governor some more. it still wants to "hunt" some :woohoo::D:ROTF: .

on the c-160 it smokes a bit under load but i ran it all day last saturday and it ran great and pulled a ton of big tree branches with no issues.

i think it will work great for plow duties.

tunahead72

well i still need to mess with the c-81. i reset the points to 17 (i put kohler points in it) and it seems better but i think i need to mess with the governor some more. it still wants to "hunt" some :woohoo::D:ROTF: .

A couple of things come to mind on the C-81....

How did you end up at .017" for the points? Static timing method? Did it reduce your knocking? I'm asking partly because my K241 has what I think is a knock also, and I'm hoping something minor like a points adjustment will help it.

On the governor adjustment, I know on the larger Kohler engines, there's a spring that runs from the bottom of the governor control arm to the throttle control lever, it can be adjusted to change the sensitivity of the governor setup, and can help a hunting problem. I can't tell from the photos I've seen whether your K181 can be adjusted that way, does anybody else know for sure, one way or another? I'll look into it if nobody responds.