Sign in to follow this  
neil

straight from horses mouth limited edition numbers

CasualObserver

Seems like about this time every year a copy or few of "the book" show up on ebay. It's just people cashing in on an investment. You can call it greedy if you like, but really this is a prime case of supply and demand setting price. When the first edition was sold out and the final decision was made that there wouldn't be anymore printed, the secondary market price went crazy. There are some people in this hobby who have deep pockets and a passion for their hobby. Money is no object at times, yes, even in this economy.

When the second edition was released, it was made known from the beginning that there would only be a certain number published/printed. Of that, there was a special limited release of 150 numbered units that included a foil sticker on the cover and additional novelty copies of historical company information. Because of the reaction of the market price when the first edition went out of print, many people snatched up several copies of the second edition as an investment, planning to sit on them, and resell them slowly and make money. Nothing wrong with that, many of us do it every day with tractors and parts.... this "part" just happens to be a book.

Please refrain from any negative commentary on this subject. You just never know who is on the other end of that transaction. It may just be someone who's a member here. (and no.... it's not me. ;) )

• Like 2

perry

kelly picked one up for me in PA. had signed. second edition. i dont see a number on it.

AMC RULES

How much did the second, collectors editions sell for when they were originally released?

CasualObserver

It's been quite a while, so someone else please correct me if I'm wrong.

I think.....

The first edition was on sale for several years mostly through magazine advertising for $22.95 or so.

Second edition was sold first at the 2009 WHCC show for $30 or $35

Remaining copies went to ebay at a Buy it now of $40

Collector's edition (150 copies) on ebay for $50 or $60)

All of the second edition/collectors 150 edition were sold directly by Mike Martino, the author. The first edition was authored by him, but published by Stemgas and Ogden Publishing, who publish many tractor, engine and farm related books and magzines.

AMC RULES

IIRC, someone just sold five of 'em on Ebay recently...$85 a piece. I expected a holiday mark up, but...

WOW! :omg:$350.00? You gotta want one bad. :deadhorse:

bitten

I have 27/150.

TT

Second edition was sold first at the 2009 WHCC show for $30 or $35

Although I can't back you on the price, it was 2008, not 2009. :thumbs2: That was Cecil Pond's last appearance at the South Mountain Fairgrounds. (mine too)

• Like 1

CasualObserver

:hide: wow... has it been that long already? :scratchead: Thanks Terry.