Sign in to follow this  
jpmcleod

jpmcleod

I guess this should go in the transmission but I hope someone can answer my questions.

My 1056 has a 75 inch belt and doesn't release the rear enough to shift gears without grinding or not not able to shift at all. Is this the correct belt lenght?

Also, it will not go into 3rd gear at all.

I bought this tractor from Bevis who moved back to New Zealand and I can't contact him to find out who rebuilt the trans.

The trans. is really quite and seems to work fine (except 3rd gear).

Here's what happens. I start it in gear and it will move in in all but 3rd. I depress in the clutch pedal and the rear pully stops due to normal belt slippage. As soon as I shift into nutral, the rear pully starts spinning and it will not go into any gear. To move it forward or reverse I have to start it in the desired gear, but have to shut off the engine to sift it into another gear and then recrank.

Thanks for any help. My e-mail address is in the personal info.

krazy_horse

First I would take the fuel line off at the fuel pump to carb fitting , turn her over and see if she pumps fuel. Hope this helps . Regards, Jim :WRS: Sorry,Put this under the wrong question :hide: I ment to put this under the c-175 fuel. Hey, Ive got an excuse, I"m old

stevasaurus

First, you should have a Wheel Horse #5053 transmission. This is your basic 3 speed uni-drive. If you do not know, you have to have the belt guard on to make the drive belt work properly. The guard has some dog ears that keep the slack in the belt off the pulleys when the clutch is depressed. If the guard is on and you still have problems, maybe the dog ears are missing. If you take off the guard, you should be able to see the broken weld/s. I do not think you have any thing wrong with the transmission...what is happening could just be the gear ratios. I am not sure what the correct belt length is, but yours sounds like it would be correct. Also, check your tension pulley to make sure it is not bad. Let's go from here at this point. :disgust: One more thing, check your parking brake to make sure it is off. I just did this the other day, and the tractor would not move because the brake keeps the tension pulley from returning all the way. I felt pretty stupid, but I am not used to using the parking brake. :hide::)

Oh...don't forget to hook that carb tube back up. :hide::beer: I get senior moments too. :WRS:

jpmcleod

Both dog ears were broken and I rewelded them. I must be truthful though, the belt gard was off and I dids not think of the slack or lack therof was the problem. I will replace the belt guard somtime this week end and see what happens.

Sometimes it's the little things that drive us crazy.

Thanks for your respnse.

jpmcleod

Went out (couldn't stand it) and released some of the tension on the brake rod allowing the belt tension pully to come up higher releasing the belt pressure. Put the belt guard on and it works with the exception of 3rd gear. Still will not shift into 3rd.

I will try figuring out how to adjust the shifter and hope it works.

Thanks for the aforementioned info.

gwest_ca

The 1056 uses WH 9714 nla Replaces 1585 and 1586 {HAx76"}

6876 Gates 1/2"x76"

4L760W Napa 1/2"x76"

248-076 Stens 1/2"x76"

84760 Goodyear 1/2"x76"

L476 Dayco 1/2"x76"

.500"x076"

Garry

stevasaurus

Sounds like we figured out some of the problem. :hide: As far as 3rd gear, check the dog set screw for the right adjustment. Loosen the lock nut and set screw, pull out shifter, inspect the end and the roll pin, replace and gently tighten the set screw, loosen a 1/4 to 1/2 turn and tighten the lock nut. Let's see if that works...next may be to drop the trany. :) :WRS: