Sign in to follow this  
dmoore

Leveling 42" side discharge

dmoore

I am having trouble leveling my 1979 42" side discharge mower deck as per the owners manual...the trunnion at the rear doesn't seem to be doing anything...I have adjusted the trunnion on the lift arm to where the bumpers just touch the underside of the foot rest...but that's all I can accomplish...the deck needs to come up at the rear...when a small 2ft level is placed on the deck front to rear the bubble is completely out of the lines...even at the highest setting it still cuts too low...any one have this problem? Thanks! Dave :hide:

corn53

I have just worked on one. Are ur rear wheels even?? Take the deck off to check it throughly as it was hard for me to see it on mine. Mine had a dent on the right side where the bracket was. I had 2 undo the whole rear wheel assembly and bang the deck straight again. Then I had to readjust the mounting clip also. PO must have a good rock with it!!! Used it for the 1st time 2day and it worked great. Hope this helps. :hide:

dmoore

Clear has mud :disgust: .....My deck is not that old(replaced the shell 10 years ago)I have to be missing something just not sure what that is :hide::WRS: :)

Clarkbug

Are your deck wheels the right size? The PO of my deck had replaced the originals with some that were much smaller than the OEM ones.

Trouty56

I use the highest setting and the bumpers are very close. The deck raises only a little bit when lifted. But my deck is level though. Best get some pictures for these guys to examine.

can whlvr

these wheelhorse decks seem to be a close cut even when on highest setting,bush hogging is a little diffacult even with the deck raised,yes it can be done but slowly

dmoore

Ok, I removed the rear threaded leveling rod & now it is level and slightly raised back to front just like the owners manual sez it should be......it cuts great but seems a lil low for the highest setting at the quadrant....Are you supposed to use the dial-a-height to adjust the deck height? D

dmoore

Anyone? :hide:

oldredrider

Low cutting heights seem to be one of the common complaints of the WH decks. Someone here recently suggested using deck wheels 1" larger to give a higher cut. Although I haven't tried it, it makes sense this would give the needed "lift" to give a higher cut.

Using the height adjuster to increase cutting height would negate the "free float" needed to get an even cut.

Hope this helps. Let us know

dmoore

Thanks for the input Paul.....yes I guess that would defeat the free floating design of the deck......I am re-installing the leveling rod tomorrow & looking at the situation a lil harder....maybe larger wheels are the easy fix......D

skrusins

Some discussions about this on the link "Deck height too low"

It's just below yours.

Dial a height is to be used for a blade or tiller not a mower

hope this helps