Sign in to follow this  
MikesRJ

Buyer Beware #2

MikesRJ

Just another "BEWARE" FYI.

There is a person selling a " 1976 Wheel Horse C-101" (sic) on eBay right now ( 220794769295). Many of you have probably seen it already. I certainly hope that the individual on the other end of the selling bit is not a member here because he deserves to be expunged if so.

We all know that the C-101 was not manufactured in 1976, but rather in 1978-1979.

I'm not normally one to ask questions or flame someone for miss-representing an item on eBay, but I was interested in this machine.

I posted the following question to him/her, I assume a him:

"Are you sure this is a 1976? Wheel Horse only made the C-101 in 78-79. Either the year is wrong, or the model name. Can you tell me the model number from the Model/Serial Number plate? Thanks in advance. "

... and the answer ...

I have the Operator's manual that says C101 1974 to 1976. Other "experts" have made the same comment, I don't know where you get your data. I get mine from authentic Wheel Horse documents.

- oshkoshpilot

My Thought: "Geez, that's a funny one. So do I!"

... so I respond ...

I get my information directly from Toro and have been collecting WH's for years.

1. If you go to the Toro site at this link: https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?...es&xCaller=Toro

2. Enter C-101 in the "Product Name" entry box

3. Click the "SUBMIT" button

You'll see that the C-101 was only manufactured the two years I stated. I suspect you sent your machines model number to Toro and they sent you the correct manual for the model number you provided. If that is the case, then your decals are incorrect. Either way, what you are selling is not what you think it is. What is the model and serial number of the machine you are selling, as I would like to know what I am bidding on before doing so? Thank you in advance.

... and he responds (his spelling!) ...

I really don't give a damn what you yave to saay unless you waant to buy the item.

- oshkoshpilot

My Thought: Hmmm ... for a moment there I did!

.. he also sends a second response which reads ...

Collectors will be assessed $250 nuisance fee at pick-up.

- oshkoshpilot

A pair of rather rude answers to someone who WAS interested in the machine, and was only trying to help. He didn't even bother to tell me the model number I asked for.

... So what the hey, I'm a glutton for punishment. I respond with ...

What is the model number of this C-101?

Can't wait to see the response to this question!

nylyon

I'll bet he comes back with C101

MikesRJ

Or something close to that. That was the only one close which was made between those years aside from the 120/160 models. Could have also been a A or B model from those years.

Moral of the story: Be careful how you deal with people. You never know when they'll have the attention of 4000+ of your potential customers.

CasualObserver

Mike, sorry, but I'm closing this thread. This is not a general place to bash sellers and buyers who just respond rudely because don't know what they're talking about, or what they have. The forum had a big round of this in the past, and it got out of hand. Every single day people buy and sell things they don't know about.

The other Buyer Beware thread was approved through the admins before it was ever placed in public view.