Sign in to follow this  
JUSS10

one of many other projects going on in the barn

JUSS10

well for the past few months my father and I have been collecting bits and pieces to build a large meat smoker to pull around on a trailer. well finally we got it finished and today was its maiden voyage (so to speak) slow cooked 2 racks of ribs and two half chickens for 5 hours, i must say, after tasting that meat, all the weld burns and blown out grinding discs were well worth it. This thing cooks meat to perfection. dad had to move it around the yard so we hitched it to the 854, thought it was a cool picture. all it needs now is a coat of paint and some trailer lights (probably larger tires as well) and its ready to roll!

IMAG0058.jpg

IMAG0059.jpg

VinsRJ

Ribs are tastie! Looks cool :hide:

perry

throw some meat on it in the morning of the charlotte show and it should be just about done the time you get there and settled in :hide:

corn53

:hide: lookin good!!!

JUSS10

you know perry, the thought crossed my mind... but if i pull this I'm limited to whatever i can fit in the bed of the truck as far as wheel horse stuff goes... quite the tough decision... :hide:

Justin

shorts

time to get creative, tongue=2bolts, axle=4spring bolts,fenders=4bolts and set it on the big trailer for the trip to the charlotte show :WRS: :hide:

shorts

time to get creative, tongue=2bolts, axle=4spring bolts,fenders=4bolts and set it on the big trailer for the trip to the charlotte show :WRS: :hide:

stevasaurus

Nice looking setup...it is amazing what you can do with an old boat trailer. My dad cut a huge old oil drum in half, got some shaker screens and we went around doing chicken & corns all summer. Justin, you are only in Zeeland...make 2 trips. :WRS::) Great idea having some smoke cooking at that show.. :hide:

JUSS10

true, its only a little over an hour drive... well as it gets closer I'll see, but if there is enough interest, I'll convince my dad to pull it down :hide:

Justin

HankB

Very cool. Is that your first smoker? I have a Weber Smokey Mountain and I love it. If you're looking for more info on smoking, get thee to Smoking Meat Forum. If you already have information, then go there and share it. :WRS: And if you've never done a Brisket, look up Steven Raichlen's recipe for brisket with a coffee rub. :hide:

JUSS10

yeah its our first smoker. i will have to look up that forum and definitely look up that brisket recipe. i love brisket but we have never tried one. that should be next on the agenda. the meat we did do turned out amazing, just made up a bbq sauce from a recipe my grandmother gave me, going to make up some pulled pork bbq sandwiches with that, maybe a litle slaw on top.... mmmmm :hide:

HankB

Here's their forum on wood smokers: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/list/111/wood-smokers I'm guessing you fire that style of smoker with wood vs. charcoal but I don't really know. There are forums there that cover lots of subjects related to smoking from equipment to meats and recipes.

Here's the recipe for brisket using a coffee rub:

http://www.primalgrill.org/recipe_details....30&EpisodeID=19

Primal Grill was running on PBS on Saturday recently but I don't know if it is still on.

JUSS10

i guess sunday has become smoker testing day, get home from church and light the fire. today we did a brisket and pork shoulder. nothing like a plate full of smoked goodness and a ice cold home brewed beer.... :hide: we took a lot more pictures this time so I'll let the pictures do the talking :)

103_2841.jpg

103_2842.jpg

103_2843.jpg

103_2844.jpg

103_2845.jpg

103_2846.jpg

103_2847.jpg

103_2848.jpg

103_2849.jpg

103_2850.jpg

103_2851.jpg

103_2852.jpg

103_2853.jpg

103_2854.jpg

103_2855.jpg

103_2859.jpg

:WRS:

HankB

For someone on their first smoker, you seem to know a lot about getting good results. Those look great!

Your post inspired me to start a thread on Weber cookers. I just did a turkey on my Weber Smokey Mountain today and posted pictures of it in that thread.

Edit: Do I spy a Suzuki GZ-250 hiding behind the smoker? That was my wife's first bike.

HorseFixer

Looks like a nice setup there Justin! :WRS: Ive allways wanted to make one of those in Stainless I am presently useing a SS Cabelas With A SS Cart I made and

it works great for a propane smoker. I have probably since last fall smoked over 400 lbs of meat. Yep and bring that puppy to the show! :)

Hank thanks for the recipies! :hide:

Cheers ~Duke

:disgust: