Sign in to follow this  
linen beige

Horse heads

linen beige

I live in thorobred horse country and see cast iron horse head hitching posts all over the place as lawn decorations. You know, like the ones in Buzz's avatar and those used in the old WH ads.

I have NEVER seen one of these for sale. Not in a store, auction, online, out of a car trunk in an alley, anywhere! I know that with as many of them as are out there someone has to have them for sale. Anybody know where I could find one at an affordable price?

Curmudgeon

Nope, but I have a couple! LOL

Actually, I've seem them for sale several times at old tractor shows/swap meets.

Jim_M

There's a guy down the road from me that has one in his front yard. I could run down there tonight after dark with my hacksaw if the price is right. :whistle:

Seriously though, I've also looked for them and haven't found one. The guy down the road said his came with the house and he found a date "1947" cast into it.

Anybody have sand casting experience? They could probably be cast from Resin also. Might be a good business oppurtunity for someone.

linen beige

There's a guy down the road from me that has one in his front yard. I could run down there tonight after dark with my hacksaw if the price is right. :WRS:

Seriously though, I've also looked for them and haven't found one. The guy down the road said his came with the house and he found a date "1947" cast into it.

Anybody have sand casting experience? They could probably be cast from Resin also. Might be a good business oppurtunity for someone.

You don't know how many times I've been tempted to do just that. And I worked 3rd shift patrol long enough to have found a lot of these just sitting there daring me to give them a ride! Even bumped into a couple while sneaking around in the dark! Cast iron is hard, but at least it doesn't hurt your ears like running into a dinner bell! :whistle:

I also have a little experience in model building (since 1966). These would be far larger than anything I've ever cast before, but I'd like to give it a shot. I could even pantograph them down to a smaller scale. That gives me another idea, maybe I could make some smaller "lawn jockeys" to hold the reins for a 'Horse? :D

Buzz

I bought mine for around $20 in Cape May NJ at a gift shop that had all kind of reproduction antique signs and bric-a-brack. Old general store trying to get tourists dollars have them. Ask your wife to kep an eye out for them when she goes out doing women things.

bowtieguy

How many do ya want?...I work at Tractor Supply Co and the horse head comes in black and some other odd color.....is a stock item and sell under 20 bucks, I think.

Heck, you can probably order them on line

linen beige

How many do ya want?...I work at Tractor Supply Co and the horse head comes in black and some other odd color.....is a stock item and sell under 20 bucks, I think.

Heck, you can probably order them on line

Thankx a big old hairy bunch guys, :whistle: I really appreciate it. Now I must confess to something, and will try to explain. I have never been into a tractor supply company store! :WRS:

There weren't any around when I was living in a small town. For the past 22 years I've lived in this small city. Before I retired, I had full use of a city/county owned cruiser, inside my county. Therefore I didn't go to surrounding towns unless I was chasing a bad guy, and there ain't much time to shop during a pursuit, and it was mostly 3rd shift when things are closed. There was a JD dealer in my beat that always treated me really well, stocks a lot of Kohler parts, and has been able to get most of the stuff I've needed.

In the past few years TSC has opened stores in almost all the smaller towns surrounding me, and there is one less than ten miles from home. Looks like I'm going "out of county for equipment.".

Oh yea, Buzz: My wife won't do the antique bit, say's getting stuck with my antique butt broke her from that.

bustedglass

$10.86 + tax, at Tractor Supply Corp. ..............

Jim_M

I went to TSC this morning to get one. They didn't have any, but they said they would order them and have one for me next week.

I've already got a spot picked out for it and my wife thinks it's "cute" so I guess life is good.

linen beige

GOT ONE!

:WRS:

I broke down and drove to an adjcent town's TSC. Got the last one in stock.

Thanks for the tip fellers! :whistle: