Sign in to follow this  
Irv

Removing Pullys on deck

Irv

Hey Guys, trying to remove the pullys from a 42" sd to rebuild the spindles. The outside ones popped off pretty easily (presoaked w/power blaster), but the center (double pulley) doesn't want to budge. Been soaking it and tried heat but no results. Any ideas or suggestions. thanks

WH854

Hey Guys, trying to remove the pullys from a 42" sd to rebuild the spindles. The outside ones popped off pretty easily (presoaked w/power blaster), but the center (double pulley) doesn't want to budge. Been soaking it and tried heat but no results. Any ideas or suggestions. thanks

I took the blade of off of mine, also the pully nut, took the zerk fitting out,set the deck on something solid under neath.Put the pully nut back on not real tight, just enough to be loose.took a piece of oak wood lay the wood across the top of pully. Gave it a couple of whacks with a big hammer,it moved a little bit,about an 1/8 inch or so.then I drove a wooden wedge under the pully and it came right off. Remember there is A woodruff key on the shaft to keep the pully from spinning. Hope this will work for you. :hide:

Chas

Lane Ranger

Irv: I had the same problem with the center pulley on an old 36 inch deck. I sprayed it thre or four times with pb blaster and it would not budge. I was tired that night and so I decided to spray it from the underside and turned the mower deck over with the pulley down toward the flood ( I placed it on one of my old steel milk crates). I sprayed that PBBlaster several times and went to bed.

I woke up the next morning and the pulley -beleive this or not - was laying on the floor!

I am a big bleiver in PB Blaster!

:hide:

Irv

Thanks for your suggestions, will try both. Chas, I don't see a woodruff key on the shaft or in the parts drawing.

WH854

Thanks for your suggestions, will try both. Chas, I don't see a woodruff key on the shaft or in the parts drawing.

You must have the spindles with out keys :hide:

Chas

can whlvr

the newer decks dont use a key,i take the zerk off,double nut the shaft on the top and make sure that the nut is up off the threads a bit so when you hit the shaft with a hammer you dont hit the shaft you are hitting the nuts,usually works but sometimes you will need heat,as long as you are replacing the bearings it wont hurt anything

Irv

Still soaking, pounding, heating, pounding, soaking, pounding-won't budge! Any more suggestions? :hide:

CRE1992

Go get a can of CRC freeze off, or simply take a computer air duster, and turn the can upside down as it will seem to spray liquid nitrogen and it may work... I know this because this is how I got written up last year in college for giving someone frost bite because they were banging on my door and wearing flip flops and I decided to spray it under the door! :hide: The extreme cold cracks the rust, instead of trying to just penetrate it.

P.S. MAKE SURE YOUR ARE IN A VENTILATED AREA! as the fumes will not only leave a bad taste in your mouth but will nearly make you pass out also...

Duff

... I know this because this is how I got written up last year in college for giving someone frost bite because they were banging on my door and wearing flip flops! :WRS:

I've worked in public safety at Dartmouth for 23 years and thought I'd heard or seen it all on a college campus, but that's a new one! :)

Hopefully the Dean saw the humor (and necessity) in your caper and let you off easy!

Duff :hide:

CRE1992

Oh Duff, the things that go on at Seton Hall would probably surprise you... :) Someone took spackle or mortar and covered all of the cracks next to the door and door jam including the area on the floor around 12AM, the students in the room woke up and could not get out of there room and did not know why, needless to say I think it took a hammer and chisel or a lot of banging on the door :)

Oh, and no I just got written up, but the story gets better! :disgust::hide::WRS: The RA's were doing there hourly hall walks, and smelt the spray, and didn't know what it was, so knocked on the door, told them it was air duster but they said no way. They came back 10 minutes later with the head of security or public safety? And he decided to pull the fire alarm at 2AM, so all 1100 of the freshman in my door building were evacuated because of the funny odor, police and fire trucks came. The police accused my room mate and I of inhaling it, which we did not, the paramedics then showed up and decided to check our vitals. Then the fire chief said to my roommate and I that he didn't smell a thing except for the Chinese food we had ordered 15 minutes before the whole incident. I then had the entire residence hall hating me! :thanks::offtopic: And no this is not made up, this actually happened.

Charles :hide: :beer:

Duff

:WRS: :):disgust::hide:

Duff :hide:

Irv

Well, took the deck up to my friend's garage and we tried a puller, heating, banging- no luck. Finally torched the shaft and pounded it out. The bearing had worn into the shaft and we broke the bottom of the spindle housing out when we pounded it out. No way it was ever coming out without that happening unless I could have taken the clip (holding the bearing in) out first. Oh well, need a new spindle assembly now. Thanks again for your suggestions.