Sign in to follow this  
boovuc

Clutch Problem/WH 857

boovuc

Hi Everyone,

Now that I have the old 857 running, I have an old problem with the tractor. The drive belt keeps turning the tranny even with the clutch pedal pushed all the way in. I have a 70 inch by 1/2 inch belt on it, (brand new Dayton), which is what the manuals call for in a Gates or NAPA belt. I have the clutch adjusted for maximum seperation and the brake brings the tractor to a stop when really pushed. I don't know what else to look for. :WRS:

All the pulleys are correct. Attached are pics of the drive pulley at the motor and the rear pulley's at the tranny with the pedal engaged. I have to shut the tractor off to change gears! :hide:

Anyone see this before?

5777378551_aa869b9f7d_s.jpg

5777378913_664e536a58_s.jpg

Thanks,

BooVuc

Mill Hall, PA

wallfish

try it with the belt guard on

rmaynard

As John said, put the belt guard on. The guides on the inside of the guard keep the belt away from the engine pulley when the clutch is depressed.

Kelly

yup put the belt guard on, and be sure the tab under the engine pulley is about 1/8" away from belt, with clutch out, should be good.

boovuc

Hey! I put the belt guard on and it works. :hide:

Thanks guys. I had to choose from three I had. It doesn't match paint wise but it works!

To quote Johnny Carson......."I didn't know that"!

OK.......Clutch Rod pivot fixed. Brakes fixed. Steering is shimmed. Gas tank interior recoated. Governer fixed. Throttle replaced, drive belt replaced, mower deck pulley installed, deck engagement spring "fixed", condenser, points replaced, new plugs, oil changed and it's greased.

It isn't finished but now it runs and actually runs quite well!

5778446466_7bbd1060ea_s.jpg

5778445792_6bc43c0e4e_s.jpg

It needs a lot of cosmetics but it's all there!

Thanks For Your Help! :WRS:

BooVuc

Mill Hall, PA

boovuc

Lets try the pictures a little bigger than a postage stamp this time!

5778446466_7bbd1060ea_z.jpg

5778445792_6bc43c0e4e_b.jpg

That's Better! :hide:

BooVuc

Mill Hall, PA

dclarke

I like it, :hide: wish mine looked like that.

stevasaurus

That 857 is a nice horse. :hide: Mine is my go to tractor...it always starts and is ready to go. :WRS:

boovuc

Thanks, guys!

I just love the looks of the square-hoods. These are the tractors I remember all the "old guys" mowing with from my youth. :hide:

I have too much grass to mow with a 32 inch deck so it and the Frankenstein only do a little cutting.

I need to get a slot hitch for it and drill out the mangled remains of the hitch that was on it. I think once the rims are painted, I'll leave it alone. It had a "Quick" paint job from a couple previous owners back.

BooVuc

Mill Hall, PA