Sign in to follow this  
smitty316

Looking at a C120

smitty316

I've recently bought and fixed up a 312-A and made a trailer to haul fire wood with it. It does a great job, but I've since learned that I might be overworking the 700 Eaton hydro in it. I thought about looking for a stronger 1100 hydro for it, but I'm not sure what kind of headaches a swap like that might cause.

Since then I've come across a C-120 and a C-160 for sale for good prices. Would I be better off buying one of them and selling my 312-A ? The 312 seems to do a good job, but I hate the idea of abusing a quality machine.

How would the reliability of the C models compare to the 312 since the C's are older machines?

Thanks, Smitty

tbbahner

If the price is good, buy them all so you don't have to change implements.

The C's mentioned are bulletproof when maintained.

Good luck

Tom B

C-Series14

Like Tom said, the C-Series are great machines. I have nothing but C-Series and they are used for everything. It says something about the quality when you use 30 year old and older tractors with no problems at all!

smitty316

Thanks guys,

What transmission do the C series hydro use? Is it the Eaton? Would a gear box be better than a hydro for pulling a heavy trailer?

C-Series14

Sunstrand...Gear would be better but others will give their 2 cents worth. I have both Auto's and 8-Speeds, I like the Auto's for mowing and the 8-Speeds for everything else...

baerpath

Other than the good idea of having two tractors, another way to go is change the rear when and if you need to. If you have already fixed it up.

Duane

smitty316

Duane,

That's kind of what I think too, but I'm not sure how big a deal it is to put in a different transmission. I'm thinking I'd like to swap the 700 Eaton that's in it for an 8 speed. I wonder how much of a problem that would be to get the shifter, linkage and everything else changed.

Also, this C160 was going for $350.00. I wonder what I'd spend buying a tranny and everything I need for it.

Thanks,

Smitty

baerpath

If you are close by I could sell ya a donor 1100 Work Horse for 200.00. the briggs on it kinda runs :hide:

Duane

smitty316

Thanks Duane!

I'd take you up on it if I weren't here in Washington, Missouri. I think I'll take your advice and just enjoy what I have while it lasts. Maybe it'll be fine. In the mean time I'll keep my eye open for some spare parts like an 8 speed transmission.

Have a good one,

Smitty

can whlvr

i would buy the c160,i have one(its an auto)and the 16 single is a true beast,it has tons of power and reasonable on fuel,i have 3 marron stripes and 3 c series,i like em both,so if i were you i would get the c160 and keep the 312 too :hide: