Sign in to follow this  
Clarkbug

Mule Drive Pulley Replacement?

Clarkbug

Hi Guys.

Checked the bearings in my mule drive yesterday after I finished mowing. The flat idler pulley seems OK to me, but the V-pulley felt a little bit rough, and I can see it giving up before too long. Plus it looks like someone has been here before, as there are some bends in the sides of the thing.

Are these press-fit onto the shaft? Is there a secret to getting both of them off and then a new one back on?

Typically should the whole pulley be replaced, or is there a replaceable bearing?

Thanks in advance!

daveoman1966

Take the mule drive off, then remove the 3/4 nut and belt shield. Both pulleys should come off of the shaft, with some persuasion and a prayer.

I have good replacement pulleys.... for pic and details, EXIT THIS FORUM and send me a separate email. my email is:

daveoman@windstream.net

ps... this pic is just to show the mule pulleys.

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)

post-4-1306687196.jpg

Clarkbug

Thanks Dave.

I pulled the nut and the shield yesterday, and neither one seemed like it felt like sliding off of the shaft... Ill have to see if I can put some penetrating oil on there to get them moving along.

wallfish

If you were close to me, I'd give you one

tunahead72

Clarkbug,

Help us out here, what model tractor? :hide:

How bad are the bends that you noticed, are they in the sides of the shield or elsewhere? Got any photos?

Penetrating oil should help a lot -- maybe I've been lucky, but I've never had to resort to big hammers or heat to remove these pullies, maybe some gentle tapping with a rubber mallet.

Check out this thread for information on greasing your old bearings, and replaceable bearings. I've never tried any of these, just replaced pulleys with OEM style, but it's another option for you to consider:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=28255

Clarkbug

Sorry for the lack of info!

Its a C-120. The bends arent terribly awful, just where it looks like someone has tried to pry on the pulley with a screwdriver and they bent it. Ill see if I can snap a pic later today.

Wallfish, thank you so much for the kind offer! I think you are maybe 3 hours or so from where I am, with is a little bit far to travel unless Im headed that way. Every now and then I have to head to Worchester for work, so if thats the case Ill come pay you a visit!

Clarkbug

Ok, so here is what I have for a pulley right now.

My apologies for the low quality pick, I only have my cell phone camera handy....

MuleDrivePulley.jpg

Thats the bend that I have in it, and the one that sounds a little whiny...

TT

Save yourself the aggravation and buy both pulleys NEW. It might seem like a waste of money now, but you'll be better off in the long run.

Get the old ones off however you have to. (I usually just cut them apart & use a cut-off wheel / grinder to split the inner bearing races on the ones that are really stuck, but heat would work too)

Two hints:

Watch for the different length spacers when disassembling - if applicable.

Clean and apply a light coat of anti-seize to the "shaft" before installing the new pulleys.

dmoore

Second the anti-seize!

can whlvr

i agree with terry,get new ones and then you will have many years of trouble free service

Clarkbug

Two hints:

Watch for the different length spacers when disassembling - if applicable.

TT,

You bring up a good point. Right now there is one spacer on the very outside of the shaft, and one on the very inside. It doesnt appear to have one in the middle. According to the diagram on parts tree there should be a spacer between the two pullies. Is this the case with all mule drives? Any idea if they were changed over the years?

TT

It's pretty standard for them to be ~ "V" pulley - spacer - flat pulley - spacer - guard - nut

In many applications, spacers were different lengths. Unfortunately I can't remember which one goes where. :hide:

Clarkbug

Mine looks just like the one that Daveoman has posted above...

Or is that piece of pipe thats closest to the inside of the mule drive welded on, and there is another space in between the two pullies?

TT

OK - finally remembered to lay my own eyes upon a few deck drive belt tensioners today ~ just so I had the facts straight.

The inside sleeve is indeed welded to the shaft (which I did know) and the longer of the two spacers goes between the pulleys.

Clarkbug

Thanks so much Terry! I wasnt sure, and I was gone all weekend so I havent had time to tear into it and see what mine looked like.