Sign in to follow this  
jimbotelho

c81 help

jimbotelho

I need some advice. I have a c81 that I am cleaning up it will be a machine that I want as a worker . I noticed that the rear wheel bearing was leaking so I jacked it up and also noticed play in the axle. Is it something that is a quick fix or do I swap for another rear it is a 8speed any advice is appreciated I am going to the big show and if needed maybe some one has one for sale Let me know I live in new fairfield ct 06812 thanks all. Jim :hide:

Kelly

The play is it up and down or in and out? in and out is normal, from very little to around 3/16", if up and down, you would like to see little to none, you can split the case and replace the bearings, if you know the trans is good, if you buy a used trans, you have a 50/50 shot at getting a good one.

jimbotelho

Thanks kelly I really would not want to get into splitting the case etc do you have one that will fit ??

tunahead72

Jim,

Kelly's given you a couple of easy things to check while the rear end is jacked up, to narrow down where your axle play is actually located, and how much it moves, his suggestions are an excellent place to start.

I assume by "rear wheel bearing" you actually mean the seal where the axle meets the transmission case? How badly is it leaking? If it's just a dribble, you probably have some time before you have to do anything. If you're having to add fluid every day or week or so just to keep it topped up, that's a different story.

I would check both axle seals for leaks, as well as the input shaft and the brake shaft. I would also do Kelly's checks to see if the bearings are OK.

If you think you need to replace any of the seals, the good news is that they can all be replaced with the transmission still installed, no case splitting involved. There's lots of good threads on this forum that can explain how to replace the seals, the hardest part could well be removing the wheel hubs from the axles -- be VERY gentle. If you think the hubs will be stubborn (a safe bet!), I would start (now) spraying a little PB Blaster betwen each hub and the axle, just to start loosening things up a bit.

If you think you have excessive play anywhere, then you'll have to consider moving to the next step of dismantling the trans. and replacing bearings (and anything else that's worn). This is certainly more involved than just replacing seals, but doable -- there's a trans. repair manual available as a free download from Toro, that outlines the whole process, plus lots of advice on this forum.

Or, as you suggest, you can swap for a different trans., which may or may not work better than your old one. Does your current trans. basically work OK except for the leaks?

Anyway, first assess the situation....

Good luck!

jimbotelho

guys thanks for thr advice I will have to ack it up and see how much play there is as far as the splitting the trans apart I would rather change rears any one have one in the ct area?? Again thanks guys for the good advice JIm :hide: the play is up and down

tunahead72

Jim,

You should probably put a listing in the "wanted" section of the classifieds here, you'll get a better response -- mention that you'll be attending the show, that will open things up a bit.

For reference, if your trans. is original, you have a model #103916 -- that same trans. was used in all the late '70's to early '80's C-series tractors. And since the basic design of the 8-speeds didn't change much over the years, it's quite possible that a trans. from another year/model would work for you also -- someone with more expertise (that would not be me) would be able to give you more specific information.

jimbotelho

thanks ed for the advice I will do just that jim :hide: :WRS: