Sign in to follow this  
cletus

ignition switch -charger 12

cletus

hi folks-ive confused myself,help needed!

briefly-my old ignition died,pat.no.3497644.i have kindly been offered a replacement by a fellow member-an indak pat.no.2868906.this will apparently replace my old one.im having trouble as the letters are different.my ignition block has been cut down ,so that all the wires are seperate :WRS:

this is where i removed them,corresponding to the tab letters on the old switch

M=ORANGE WIRE WITH FUSE ATTACHED TO CIG LIGHTER

L=ORANGE FROM RECTIFIER/REGULATER

S=BLACK FROM ALTERNATER

B=BATTERY POSITIVE

UNMARKED TAB=KILL WIRE

how does this correspond with new switch,with letters S,A,G,M AND UNMARKED?

i really dont wont to fry anything!! :hide:

Anglo Traction

Hi Cletus,

I'm sure more experienced 'Sparkys' may chime in soon to help.

But firstly, Pat Nbrs cannot be considered when trying to match Switches.

The 2868906 was U.S patented in 1950 and I believe covers designs with 3 and 5 Terminals. The 3497644 U.S. patent was filed on 14th March 1970.

The latter design covers most 3 POSITION Switch variations with 5 or 6 Blade Terminals and the letter designations also changed.

For example, 1972 was a year when Wheel Horse had to produce a 'Service Bulletin' (#134) because there were 4 different switches used in that year for the Models produced with different terminal layouts.

It stesses that replacement Switches must be correctly identified to avoid damage.

Additionally, Switch Markings cannot be relied upon and so a need to Match Wire colour/connection to the position on the Switch Terminals is required.

For your situation, I believe that the Old Switch you have is Not original, so before any further attempt to sort the problem is made , it is important to identify what exactly you have i.e.-

Type of Ignition System (Battery Coil/Points or Breakerless,Magneto)

Wire colour coding on your Tractor (it may have been partially replaced)

Type of Old Ignition Switch (Terminal pattern layout, 3 or 4 key postions).

Can you post Pics of the above for us?.

Your description of connections is not familiar to me. Namely S=Black from Alternator?.

Do you have an Ammeter ?.

What are the colours of the Battery + and Kill wire?.

'L' has the same use as letter 'A' (for Fused Accessories).

So, short of another member offering a copy or description of the Wiring Diagram and Switch terminal position connections for your exact 1971 Model (1-0400), which I can't find anywhere. I can offer one that is the same as a 1970 and 1972 Charger 12 Battery Ignition with Coil/Points and 15Amp Stator. The replacement Switch you now have is for this system layout.

I'm sure we can get you back running soon.

Regards.