Sign in to follow this  
The Toolman

dd spindles

The Toolman

I guess I'll ask again since nobody answered me a coupla days ago. What are they an what makes them so bad on the 75 series decks that people want to change them to something else?

Thanx

Ron

JimD

Personally I think they work fine. The bearing in these is a sealed bearing, when it goes bad it has to be replaced. It is not grease-able. That's why some folks replace them with spindles that have grease-able bearings.

TT

A "double D" spindle is the round spindle shaft with a flat milled on two sides. I guess it's called that because it looks like two D's back to back. (or would that be front to front?) :hide:

Most spindle assemblies from the mid-70's era are non-greasable, which is why it's popular to upgrade to the newer full ball-bearing / greasable units. (instead of a needle bearing in the bottom & a ball bearing in the top)

By the way...... "75" is not actually the "series", but rather the first two digits of the ID number for many 1977 mower decks. (the 7 represents 1977 and the "5" is :WRS: "code" for mowers)

The Toolman

Ok, guess I got it now. Anyway, this deck was off of a 77 c-120, an that was the # on the tag

75-42MR02 and is does have grease zerks in the spindles.

Now I know what ya mean by the dd spindles about the way they are shaped. I'm getting ready to put new blades on it tomorrow, so I guess I'll see whats on the backside of them blades.

Thanx for the explanation guys

Ron

daveoman1966

If your deck pulleys have round center holes, then the blades will also be round-hole type. If 'Double-D' (DD) on top, then the blades will be too.

The only way to explain 'Double D' is with a pic.

Attached Image

post-4-1306128188.jpg

WheelHorse_of_course

There are a lot of different variants of the double d spinldes, including some with grease zerks.

At least one variant has a single "press in" bearing/shaft assembly that is not serviceable.

In other cases they have two replaceable bearing assemblies (as TT said, ball in the top and needle/roller in the bottom) and therefore can be "rebuilt" at a reasonable cost. There are variants of these as well. One major variation is how the weight of the blade is transferred to the upper bearing.

In my experience most, if not all, of these types can be interchanged without much difficulty (may require a small does of creativity).

One reason to change is the fact the double d type of blades are somewhat hard to find.

The Toolman

The picture is great info, ought to be put somewere that can be found easy for reference.

Mine has big the nuts on it, so I imagine I haven't got the flat sided shafts.

The Toolman

I changed the blades today an the spindles are like the top right hand pic. They just have a big nut that holds the blade on an was easy to change with my big 1/2" drive air impact gun.

No DD's for me............ :hide: