Sign in to follow this  
fourwheels0

c-81 drive belt adjustment

fourwheels0

does anyone have any pics on the drive belt adjustment for a c-81 tractor.

i'm not sure how to adjust it. i need to tighten it.

TT

There is no drive belt adjustment on a Wheel Horse. The idler pulley is attached to the arm and is kept under the proper tension by the spring on the left side of the tractor.

The trunnion at the rear of the clutch pedal linkage only adjusts the pedal height.

If you are having belt (clutch) release or tension issues, it's either because the crankshaft of engine you just installed isn't exactly in the same spot as the original - or the drive belt is worn/bad. (or a combination of both.

fourwheels0

TT thanks. i think the new engine is mounted a little too far back.

i'll need to slot the holes i drilled to move it forward and tighten up the belt.

it moves ok but the belt is looser than before.

oh'well it's all a learning experience right? lol.

WH854

TT thanks. i think the new engine is mounted a little too far back.

i'll need to slot the holes i drilled to move it forward and tighten up the belt.

it moves ok but the belt is looser than before.

oh'well it's all a learning experience right? lol.

Why not just try a shorter belt :hide:

Chas

fourwheels0

:WRS: lol i didn't think of that. :hide:

i'll have to measure the one that's on there now and see if i can find one just a bit shorter.

smoreau

Go with a oem belt! it may cost a little more BUT IT WILL FIT CORRECTLY!! been there, done that, I only go oem know that I know. enough said.

WH854

:WRS: lol i didn't think of that. :hide:

i'll have to measure the one that's on there now and see if i can find one just a bit shorter.

Toro P/N 108501 (5/8 X81")

Chas

fourwheels0

:disgust: lol i didn't think of that. :WRS:

Toro P/N 108501 (5/8 X81")

Chas

:hide: :)

fourwheels0

ok i pulled my belt off and found no numbers on it(it's worn off i think).

my belt measures 82" long. the stock belt on this is 81" long correct?.

that means this belt stretched 1" and most likely needs to be replaced anyways right?.

rmaynard

It is difficult to measure a belt without a belt measuring tool. If you are trying to measure it with a tape measure, a small amount of slippage could give you an inaccurate reading. However, here is a little trick my dad always did. He would measure with a tape measure 3 times. If 2 of the 3 were the same, that's what he used. If all 3 were a little different, he would take an average.

Having said that, if the belt is 82", then 1" is a lot of stretch, and a new 81" belt should make a significant difference.

fourwheels0

rmaynard yes i measured it 3 times and all came up 82".

i'm searching for a belt right now.

rmaynard

I have been using a Kevlar belt from TSC on my B-100 for the last 10 years. It is still as good as new, and I abuse the heck out of it plowing snow and pushing dirt. A 5/8" x 81" belt from TSC is SKU Number: 4461818. Also, they have all different sizes on the shelf. You could buy several sizes, use the one that fits best, and take the others back.

I know a lot of guys say to use OEM, but since you have a modified setup there, I don't see where an off-brand is going to be any less effective than a Toro brand.

fourwheels0

i don't think a 81" belt will work.

luckily i found a brand new one in the shed that's the correct size 5/8 x 81" but this doesn't look right.

the flat piece on top of the pulley is that supposed to push the belt down onto the flat piece (with paint missing) to stop the belt from moving when you push the clutch pedal?.

it seems pretty tight now.

hhmm maybe i should just slide the engine forward a bit and use the belt that was on it.

fourwheels0

sorry here's the pic.

DSCN3763.jpg

WH854

Isn't that piece on the pulley to keep the belt from coming of the idler pulley :hide:

PS also that part works that safty switch in back of the belt in the picture

Chas

fourwheels0

well i put the old belt back on for now.

i think i just need to get the kohler fixed so everything is where it needs to be.

hm12460

Fourwheels, having just replaced the belt on my C-81, I know the correct oem size is 5/8x81" Hope that helps.

JC 1965

Fourwheels, having just replaced the belt on my C-81, I know the correct oem size is 5/8x81" Hope that helps.

:WRS: Harold is right. The correct belt size is 5/8"x 81". :hide:

fourwheels0

ok thanks guys.

i'm in the process of having the kohler rebuilt so when it goes back in i'll have the correct belt.

Duff

the flat piece on top of the pulley is that supposed to push the belt down onto the flat piece (with paint missing) to stop the belt from moving when you push the clutch pedal?.

it seems pretty tight now.

Actually, and note that I'm no expert or even close to it, that clearance between the belt tab and the top of the tensioner pulley in your picture looks just about right. :WRS: And yes, that tab is meant to push the belt onto the lower guide (without the paint) to stop belt movement so you can shift without grinding gears in the manual trannies.

Duff :hide: