Sign in to follow this  
WH854

Transmission From A WH 656

WH854

I bought this transmission about 4 or 5 years ago to use in my 854, but after installing it keep jumping out of third gear. :hide: So i had the orignal one rebuilt on the 854 :) . in the meantime I got another one with a chunk broken out where the hitch fits, so I switched the third gear out of it, so i will see how things turn out. :WRS: Here are some pictures of the tear down.

The first two shows it sitting up on end.

PICT0009-1.jpg

PICT0010-1.jpg

The next one with the wide side up.

PICT0015.jpg

The next one shows with the wide part off :)

PICT0021-1.jpg

The next one shows with the axle out.

PICT0027.jpg

The next one shows the axle.

PICT0026.jpg

The next pictures show it all apart.

PICT0031.jpg

PICT0029.jpg

PICT0005.jpg

PICT0001.jpg

That is all the pictures untill I start putting This rascal back together.

:beer: Can anybody tell me how far the needle bearings (1528) Go into the axle housing. I'm guesing enough for the oil seal!!! :disgust: For Any Help!!!

Chas

PS Thank you to Steve :hide:

sorekiwi

:hide: Can anybody tell me how far the needle bearings (1528) Go into the axle housing. I'm guesing enough for the oil seal!!!

Yep, thats right, or maybe a 1/32" more to give a little clearance.

WH854

:) Can anybody tell me how far the needle bearings (1528) Go into the axle housing. I'm guesing enough for the oil seal!!!

Yep, thats right, or maybe a 1/32" more to give a little clearance.

:WRS: Mike :hide:

Chas

stevasaurus

Chas...did you see something wrong with the 3rd gear after you tore it down...either the fork gear or the cluster gear??? Popping out of third is a fairly common event, especially under load. Just wondering if you saw something that stuck out. I would also check out the detente balls to see if they are worn at all. That could add to the problem. They should be 1/4". :hide:

The reason I ask, is that my 857 was doing that plowing that major snow that I had this last winter. I am going to tear into this one very soon. :WRS:

WH854

Chas...did you see something wrong with the 3rd gear after you tore it down...either the fork gear or the cluster gear??? Popping out of third is a fairly common event, especially under load. Just wondering if you saw something that stuck out. I would also check out the detente balls to see if they are worn at all. That could add to the problem. They should be 1/4". :hide:

The reason I ask, is that my 857 was doing that plowing that major snow that I had this last winter. I am going to tear into this one very soon. :)

No Steve I checked all the gears, they all look good for being as old as they are,the detent balls were working. I will put new ones in,also new spring, shift pin stop :WRS:

Chas

TT

3 (and 4) speeds popping out of high gear when under load is definitely not unusual.

More than likely, the cause is the "inside" teeth on the input shaft side of the 2nd/high sliding gear and the end of the teeth on the input shaft being worn. This occurs when the tranz is shifted (repetitively) between second and third gear without stopping.

When the crisp corners of the teeth wear into "ramps", they actually try to push themselves apart. The detent spring, balls, and grooves are not strong enough to overcome the force of two gears trying to separate from applied torque.

The only cure I know of for this condition is to replace both the input shaft and the 2nd/high sliding gear - or hook a tarp strap on the shifter to hold it in 3rd. :hide:

One of the first things you'll notice when comparing gearboxes is the "upgrade" to a one-piece input shaft on the 6 & 8 speeds - which virtually eliminated the popping out of high gear issue. That's not saying that they won't pop out of gear if they're worn - but it's not for the same reason.

The bad part about the full-length input shaft is that you absolutely HAVE to remove the shift forks to be able to completely disassemble the rest of the gearbox.

WH854

3 (and 4) speeds popping out of high gear when under load is definitely not unusual.

More than likely, the cause is the "inside" teeth on the input shaft side of the 2nd/high sliding gear and the end of the teeth on the input shaft being worn. This occurs when the tranz is shifted (repetitively) between second and third gear without stopping.

When the crisp corners of the teeth wear into "ramps", they actually try to push themselves apart. The detent spring, balls, and grooves are not strong enough to overcome the force of two gears trying to separate from applied torque.

The only cure I know of for this condition is to replace both the input shaft and the 2nd/high sliding gear - or hook a tarp strap on the shifter to hold it in 3rd. :)

One of the first things you'll notice when comparing gearboxes is the "upgrade" to a one-piece input shaft on the 6 & 8 speeds - which virtually eliminated the popping out of high gear issue. That's not saying that they won't pop out of gear if they're worn - but it's not for the same reason.

The bad part about the full-length input shaft is that you absolutely HAVE to remove the shift forks to be able to completely disassemble the rest of the gearbox.

:WRS: TT for your input :hide:

Chas

WH854

Another update on this project!! I put one needle bearing (P/N 1528) in just to see if I could do it without screwing things up, went in good to my suprise. :disgust:

Here are some pictures of the process.

With the bearing sitting on the houseing.

PICT0001-1.jpg

Next one half wan in housing.

PICT0006.jpg

Next one is with it all the way in you can see the 15/16 socket I used to finish driving it down inside the houseing. PS I used a good solid piece of flat wood to get it started in,at the beginning. :hide:

PICT0007.jpg

I saved the other one I am going down to the bearing place(Applied Industries)

To see if they can match it up. :hide:

Chas :)

PS thank you to Steve :WRS:

stevasaurus

:) Thanks TT...nice to know our thinking is in the ball park for a change. :WRS:

Chas, be sure to document the changes you make and let us know if the situation improves...if you would. Thanks also. :hide:

WH854

I Have more pictures of the gears Here They are.

Bull Gear

PICT00062.jpg

Break Shaft Gear

PICT00052.jpg

Reverse Idler

PICT0002-1.jpg

Input Drive, HI&Inter, Shift fork

PICT0003.jpg

Cluster Drive and gears

PICT0005-1.jpg

PICT0004-1.jpg

Cluster Again

PICT00042.jpg

All of them together

PICT0003-1.jpg

Are these pictures clear enough to tell if they are good gears :hide:

Chas :WRS:

TT

They look good from my house. :WRS:

The input shaft is definitely in good condition, but I can't really see the "inside" teeth of the second/high gear.

This is what a second/high gear looks like when it's going bad. This one wouldn't pop out under a light load, but it didn't like working under pressure.

3speedgears002.jpg

I had the "matching" bad input shaft here somewhere, but (naturally) I can't find it now. :hide: It was damaged more than the sliding gear - in case you're thinking that it doesn't really look that terrible.

I did find two that are still pretty nice yet:

3speedgears003.jpg

stevasaurus

That helps a ton Terry in knowing what to look for. I thought Chas's gears looked pretty good also (I've seen worse), but I have never seen a new one to compare it to. :hide:

WH854

They look good from my house. :disgust:

The input shaft is definitely in good condition, but I can't really see the "inside" teeth of the second/high gear.

This is what a second/high gear looks like when it's going bad. This one wouldn't pop out under a light load, but it didn't like working under pressure.

3speedgears002.jpg

I had the "matching" bad input shaft here somewhere, but (naturally) I can't find it now. :hide: It was damaged more than the sliding gear - in case you're thinking that it doesn't really look that terrible.

I did find two that are still pretty nice yet:

3speedgears003.jpg

Maybe these are better :hide:

HIGHGEAR.jpg

PICT00033.jpg

Inputshaft.jpg

INPUTSHAFT2.jpg

What do you think about the back ground onthe last two :WRS:

WH854

Diging around in my goodie box came up with a NOS input shaft gear, put a P/N 1518 bearing in it it's good to go :hide:

WH854

Update on this project. Started putting it back together here are some pictures.

Shift rails back in.

PICT0011.jpg

PICT0009.jpg

Drive shaft gear.

PICT0004-2.jpg

Second and High.

PICT0014.jpg

Low and Reverse.

PICT0015-1.jpg

Idler gears I Think :hide:

PICT0018.jpg

All but the Axles and bull gear

PICT0021.jpg

Thats all for now :)

WH854

Another update :)

As I said in a post above (I was going to Applied industries to check on seal and bearings).

Yesterday I ordered (2) P/N 9416- KOYO B-1816 $8.39 each.(1 1/8" axle)

P/N 1528 (2) KOYO B-1616;L125 $7.42 each.( 1" axle)

P/N 1232 1" Axle & Brake shaft Seals ( (3) C/R 9815) $5.74 each.

P/N 100443 1 1/8" Axle Seals ( C/R 11050) (2) $5.50 each.

Saved a lot of money on the needle bearings!!!!

Saved a little bit on the seals!!! But The Seals have metal outside instead of plastic :disgust:

Here is a picture of the order :hide:

PICT0001-2.jpg

WH854

I decided to change an axle in this project one side was chiped out on the keyway Here is a picture of them side by side.

PICT0001-3.jpg

So i proceeded to open the tranxaxle up.

Here it is opened up.

PICT0005-2.jpg

Here is a picture of the one I am replacing.

PICT0003-2.jpg

I FORGOT TO TAKE MORE PICTURES :hide:

I got to busy with the job I guess :) anyway it is back together.

PICT00062.jpg

Hey Steve the bolts were up :WRS:

Chas :disgust:

stevasaurus

Chas...the bolts were up. :WRS: What does that mean anyway. :) Nice thread Chas...let us know if that new input gear solved the problem, if you would. :hide:

WH854

Chas...the bolts were up. :WRS: What does that mean anyway. :) Nice thread Chas...let us know if that new input gear solved the problem, if you would. :hide:

Here is a picture of the four bolts :)

PICT0009-2.jpg

Picture of new seals I installed on the axle and brake shaft (that little board is my seal installer tool) :beer:

PICT0001-4.jpg

New Gasket!!

PICT0004-3.jpg

Gasket glued to big side of case!!

PICT0006-2.jpg

Big side up installed using rubber hammer!!

PICT0013.jpg

Next pictures are with the transmission all buckled up!!

PICT0019-1.jpg

PICT0018-1.jpg

I have to get a shift cover and do a little painting.

Steve This is a spare transmission I may not know if the new gears are working or not :disgust:

Chas :hide:

PICT0015-2.jpg

stevasaurus

:hide:

WH854

I decided I have to get rid of some of these old not useable parts of these transmissions Like this broken case. :hide:

Picture of it!!!

PICT0002-3.jpg

The bearing I took them out!!!

PICT0031.jpg

Here is a couple of pictures of the P/N 1533 bearing out of the case.

Thiis picture shows the side that is exposed with the axle out :)

PICT0003-3.jpg

The next one shows the side with a metal seal( I think) on it with Made in USA Nice 7439

PICT00062-1.jpg

I took the cases down to my buddie, and said do you know how I can get those bearings out. he said yeah i can,but they may not be any good when I'm done. I said give it a try. He drug this tool out of the back room and set it up. He said to me you are going to have to do it your self, I have one broken hand.

So i did, it came right out Wala. So i did the other side, The bearings are in good shape. :hide::WRS: This puller is called a slide puller, it hooks in back of the outside race, you just slide this handle back and forth a couple of times out they pop.

Chas :disgust:

WH854

Here are some of the gears that I am Scraping out of the junk transmission!!

This is one of the only good ones. The break shaft gear!!

Gear51.jpg

Here is another good one the bull gear!!

PICT00062.jpg

BOth axles are in bad shape!!

Axle53.jpg

Axle52.jpg

Input shaft gear is iffy.

Gear50.jpg

Second and high also reverse and low!!

gear48.jpg

Reverse Idler

gear49.jpg

gear45.jpg

This next picture shows the teeth worn on both sides caused from not stopping tractor to shift gears :hide:

gear44.jpg

That is all for now :WRS: