Sign in to follow this  
jus97tin

leaking rear end fluid

jus97tin

Hey everyone, I have a problem with my 1967 1077 wheel a matic. On the left side it is leaking rear end fluid out of one side. I talked to a someone who knows about wheel horse tractors, and he said that the seal is on the outside once you take the hub off and it shouldn't be hard to replace. Does anyone who if this is true? and how to you take the wheel seal out. Also what kind of fluid goes back into it.

can whlvr

im not a 100 per cent sure on a hydro,ive n ever changed mine yet but have done an 8 speed latley,and when you get the hub off you can use a small screw driver and a small hammer,simply pry it out with the screw driver,sometimes you have to give them a small tap to puncture the seal to get a hold on them,clean the axle with emery cloth and make sure its smooth as not to damage the new seal,slide new seal in and seat it with a seal seating tool of a peice of pipe,the fluid should be what ever was in her,if its red then its transmission fluid,and if its amber then its 10w-30 motor oil,some people use special oils but thats the basics,the hardest thing on this job is getting the hubs off,on my c101 i had to build a special puller from thick angle iron,5 bolts to attact to the hub and a huge screw in the center topush when you crank it,with some heat and this puller they came off,just took a little time