Sign in to follow this  
m2salmon

Steep Grade Operation

m2salmon

My driveway is about 150 ft long and a constant grade of about 35 degrees. The Kohler engine manual does not recommend operation at above a 30 deg angle, due to the splash oiling set-up.

Have any of you damaged an engine due to oil scavenging because of operating continuously on a steep grade? Is there anything I can do to modify the connecting rod dipper, oilpan or other part of the lubrication system to allow the engine to safely run on angles steeper than 30 degrees?

buckeye

I think you could add a little more oil to the engine without hurting it, but it might cause it to burn a little or come out of the breather

if you run it on a flat grade too long

tunahead72

Marty,

I don't think anyone can say that it's 100% OK to run your mower over the 30% limit (that's a continuous limit, by the way). And other than adding a little more oil, I don't personally know of any changes you can make that will make it safer to operate under those conditions.

But you may want to check out the following thread, especially starting with qwest_ca's post on 4/27/11 -- there's lots of interesting information there that may help you decide what to do:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=27508

I'm assuming you have a Kohler K241 engine in your 1054, correct? It's very similar to the Magnum 10 HP that's discussed in that thread.

I also assume others here will chime in with good advice, they usually do! :hide:

Good luck!

m2salmon

Ed,

Yes, my 1054 has the Kohler K241.

Thanks for the link to that thread. I guess a good first start would be to get an accurate measurement of the angle of the hill. From page 6 of the users manual for the 241 it sounds like I should be OK up to a 30 deg incline. Hopefully I'm less than that.

The hill is long and a fairly constant (steep) grade. For plowing snow down the hill and returning back up it, it may be considered semi-continuous duty for the motor. It is more than a small hill that has to be passed in an otherwise flat yard. 90% of the work at my house is either going up that steep hill, or down it...

m2salmon

Well I measured the grade yesterday with an inclinometer borrowed from work.

The actual measurement was much smaller than what I had envisioned... the story of my life. :hide:

The grade is a consistently between 13 and 15 degrees. I couldn't imagine a 30 degree driveway, mine is about the steepest I've ever driven up. Since I'm under 30 degrees I should be all set for constant operation on the hill, but I will add a bit more oil, up to 2 1/2 qts to be safe.