Sign in to follow this  
Butch

ARGH $&*%@#

Butch

I rebuilt this thing and have been through it three times. Maybe I'm way off on doing something.

New float that hangs a little below level.

New inlet needle and seat that operate smoothly.

Jets have been cleaned and air goes through the high speed with no problem. It is backed off 2 full turns. Low speed backed of 1 1/4 turns.

Float pin is smooth.

Carb was soaked in carb cleaner for two hours and blown dry.

New gaskets.

It is a Kohler carb based on their manual.

She starts up. Sputters and spits and then dies.

ARGH. :hide:

Giles

You say "flooding"--is gas leaking out of carburetor?

Spitting back is usually a symptom of lean mixture. Flooding will choke down.

Butch

You say "flooding"--is gas leaking out of carburetor?

Spitting back is usually a symptom of lean mixture. Flooding will choke down.

I have flooding coming from the air cleaner or the intake side of the carb. It poors like a river.

I just cut a piece out of the float and right now it seems to be working. There was a piece between the floats two hinges that stuck out the back side. The old float did not have it so I ground/cut it out. I still left the piece for the valve to hit against.

As of now it seems to be working. I started the tractor up and took it for a ride around the block. It still may flood yet. We'll have to wait and see. But this is the furthest by far that I got with it. I don't see how the piece I cut out made any difference but it apparently may have.

Thanks!

Butch

Based on the Kohler manual the piece I cut off was called the "float Drop" for adjusting how far it drops. The old float didn't have one so I cut it out!! I'm gonna go give the tractor another test drive!!

stevasaurus

sounds like you found it Butch. With the symptoms you mentioned, it has got to be the float and/or the float valve and adjustment. The piece you cut off must have been keeping the float from coming up and closing the valve. If that is working properly now, you will be done with the flooding. :hide:

Butch

sounds like you found it Butch. With the symptoms you mentioned, it has got to be the float and/or the float valve and adjustment. The piece you cut off must have been keeping the float from coming up and closing the valve. If that is working properly now, you will be done with the flooding. :WRS:

Yep. She purrs better than a free B-100! :) I had her out there mowing some grass and some leaves and she never skipped a beat.

Funny how in the Kohler manual it tells you what it is and to bend it to work. Heck, I just cut the SOB off. The old one didn't have one so I don't need one. Of course I'll probably blow the tractor engine up now because I didn't use it to adjust the carb properly!! :hide:

buckrancher

sounds to me Butch that the drop tang you cut off was hitting the side

the the bowl and hanging the float open

you should adjust the float height and have it parallel with the carb body

in the upside down position (angling down towards carb body can cause flooding

angling up from carb body can cause feul starvation)

you also should not sand the needle tip as the solid ones are plated (not the rubber tip ones) and sanding will leave fine scratchs that could cause feul leak by

and flooding

also besure bowl vent is clear

Brian

Butch

Brian I sanded lightly the valve which was 4 sided and rubber tipped. I hope by cutting off the float height adjuster doesn't cause a problem. It did in it's stock configuaration. The one I replaced didn't have one so that is why I cut it off. I blew everything out with compressed air so I think everything was pretty clean including the vent. Thanks!

stevasaurus

Brian is correct...never sand the tip of the valve. I did say the side edges only and slightly at that. Had that problem on my 64 Ford single barrel carb, and that fixed the problem. :hide:

Butch

Brian is correct...never sand the tip of the valve. I did say the side edges only and slightly at that. Had that problem on my 64 Ford single barrel carb, and that fixed the problem. :)

64 Ford? :hide::WRS: This is an 83 Wheel Horse and not no Falcon! To the best of my knowledge Kohler never stuck a K181 in any Ford. Geez. :disgust:

JimD

Brian is correct...never sand the tip of the valve. I did say the side edges only and slightly at that. Had that problem on my 64 Ford single barrel carb, and that fixed the problem. :disgust:

64 Ford? :hide::WRS: This is an 83 Wheel Horse and not no Falcon! To the best of my knowledge Kohler never stuck a K181 in any Ford. Geez. :hide:

Butch, you should see him pull startin the Ford, it's hilarious! :)

stevasaurus

I have 6 K-181's in that ford and 1 7HP Techy...and they all run great. :hide: :WRS:

Butch

I have 6 K-181's in that ford and 1 7HP Techy...and they all run great. :WRS::)

Would that make it an inline 7? :hide: