Sign in to follow this  
Clarkbug

Good News for Me, Bad News for RS:)

Clarkbug

Hi all.

So the good news is that I just picked up a WH 210-5 off of Craigslist for the tidy sum of $60.

The bad news is that I will now be posting more questions here to all of you at Red Square as I get it up and running again.

:hide:

Yes, I know I had (hopefully past tense) enough problems with my C-120, but I got this guy to get running and give to my brother who is using a push mower for his acre and a half or so...

It looks like its in good shape, with only 500 or so hours on the meter (assuming its still working). It came with a 36" rear discharge deck, and four new turf tires. The PO said that it only needed a battery and a starter, since he fried the starter trying to jump start it off of his car.... Im going to swap in the battery from my C-120 and see if thats really the case. He also took off the deck, so Im going to have to figure out how to get that back on there, since I dont see a downloadable manual from Toro.

The only other issue I see is that the choke flap doesnt actuate, so I need to figure out where that connection takes place in the throttle linkage.

Cudamandan

:hide:

Clarkbug

I got it home late enough that the light was gone.. Ill try to snap a few shots tomorrow if I get home while its still light out.

JackC

Cudamandan,

Nice 1977 D200.

Is that original or restored?

TIA

JC 1965

:) Seems like no one can own just one Wheel Horse tractor. :WRS: Now what is your next one going to be? :hide:

Clarkbug

Very true. I keep looking for more of them whenever I am out and about....

The other good news is that I picked up a new battery for the 210-5 yesterday, hooked it up, and the starter spins with no problem! I think everything had sat and set up, and the guy just jammed the starter at first trying to jump it for the season. It was a little sticky and the gear didnt want to retract.

So thats a nice savings on a part there. I still havent gotten it fired up, but Im going to pull the carb off today to tweak it some, and I need to figure out how to hook up the choke butterfly. The parts diagrams dont seem to be much help on that one. The choke linkage is there, I just dont know what hole to connect it to.

Don1977

Your choke is tied in with the throttle. Push the throttle all the way past fast and it pushes the choke closed on the old Snapper that my dad had. It wasn't attached a tab on the throttle just pushed choke closed. Briggs used a plastic gear and rack on throttle control if the gear or rack is broken that could be you trouble. You have to buy the throttle plate to get the rack and gear. I have epoxy the rack back together when I had the broken part.

His Briggs may be newer but I have worked on a few and they were all similar.

Clarkbug

I think someone has played here before....

I was able to adjust the throttle linkage so that I get some good choke closure, not fully, but close. Was able to get the engine to run today off of starting fluid first, then after some coaxing it was running on gas, but then it sounded like it was running away, so I went to turn it off. Turns out the wire connected to the coil is broken.

PO must have turned up the screw on the throttle butterfly to keep the RPMs up to compensate for a plugged up carb. I turned the screw out and it started surging pretty badly. I was able to pull the main jet out, but I think I screwed up the number of turns for some of the other adjustments.

Anyone have a carb manual for the 10 HP Briggs by chance?