Sign in to follow this  
Sparky

418-A is home

Sparky

So I picked up the 418-A Saturday in the rain :D . It had to spend the night on the trailer under a tarp till the next morning so I wasnt able to give it a good once over till then. Well its Sunday and the sun is shining so I gave it the once over and its not as nice as I would have liked but it is gonna be a great snow-remover. The battery and seat are shot so thats first on my list. The starter is a little tempermental but I think some grafite will fix it. The starter gear sometimes spins without engaging the flywheel. A tie rod dropped off on the ride home but I had one in stock so thats allready been fixed. The blower and 42" deck both need some attention. The tires are fair and should be allright this winter. I'll be putting some serious weight and 2 link chains on it. The rears are 23x9.50x12, and the fronts are the standard 16x6.50x8's. I guess it just needs some attention and I'll be off.

Mike......

tractor004.jpg

tractor003.jpg

kj4kicks

Hey Mike, All in all, it doesn't look too bad !

I think you'll be amazed what a difference a Sunday afternoon will make in it.

Have fun !!

Eldon.

nylyon

It doesn't look all that bad at all, and the hub caps look nice. Pick up one of those deck kits for the deck, it comes with new anti-scalp wheels, gauge wheels, blades, belts and idler pulley. I am pleased with the one that I got, but didn't use the blades yet. That sure is a big honking engine in there :D

Rollerman

Hey Mike you forgot to mention the most important thing.

Can you see the chrome air cleaner through the hood lovers?...LOL

Looks great though...man thats a big engine...looks larger than the Onans?

Stephen in northern IN

nylyon

Hey Mike, in the sales brochure for the 417, it says the top forward speed is 7 miles per hour. Does this seem to be the case with this one? I wonder how it can get that fast?

kpinnc

Put a smaller pulley on the transmission. That'll speed it up quite a bit, and the 18hp Kohler will never notice the difference...

That's one thing the "racers" do to thier tractors. Bigger pulley in front, smaller in back. I have no idea how you'd get a bigger one in front and keep the PTO though.

Of course, you may have to get a shorter belt...

Sparky

Hey Stephen....no I cant see the chrome air cleaner thru the louvers :D . I can see the stainless heat shield over the muffler but it aint the same. Oh well...at least I know its there.

Karl...I did cruise it around the yard some and it seems kinda fast but my C-125 auto seems just as fast so its no speed demon. Its definately faster than an 8 speed tho.

Mike....

T-Mo

Mike, it's not too bad a looker, a little tlc would go a long way. I love the hub caps, would love to have a set on my 314-8. Gotta agree with the consensus here, that is one big engine.

Sparky

Yer right, it is a big motor. No idea what it weighs in at but I would think I would need an engine hoist or some type of block-n-tackle to lift it out and back in. I have removed a few Kohler 8hp, 10hp, and 12 hp motors from tractors and their real heavy and kinda hard to manage on my own( or maybe I'm just too old :D ). I did an 11hp briggs in a GT1142 and it was a treat to remove and reinstalled cause it was an aluminum block. I could do Briggs swaps all day! If you look at the flywheel screen in the pic it looks like its dented where the clutch pedal is but its actually a factory installed "dent" to let the clutch pedal clear the screen. That should give ya an idea how wide it it.

Mike......with a wide ride :P

Curmudgeon

Put a smaller pulley on the transmission. That'll speed it up quite a bit, and the 18hp Kohler will never notice the difference...

That's one thing the "racers" do to thier tractors. Bigger pulley in front, smaller in back. I have no idea how you'd get a bigger one in front and keep the PTO though.

Of course, you may have to get a shorter belt...

I'm not so sure that would work with a hydrostat........

Dale

kpinnc

Well now, don't I feel like the village idiot? :D

If you think that's bad, you gotta see me with POWER TOOLS!

Sorry folks, I don't know why I had 8 speed on the brain....