Sign in to follow this  
Forest Road

Tiller operation

Forest Road

I have a question concerning a recently acquired tiller. Is it unusual for the drive belt to fall off? Does spring tension at the idler play a significant role? It happened several times yesterday. And a couple today. So I changed out the old "GOOD LOOKING" belt for a brand new one out of the bag. It worked well for a bit then started throwing belts again.

Now granted this is in relatively hard soil. This is the first time breaking this soil.

:hide:

Thanks

Kevin

daveoman1966

This is usually caused by the front flat idler pulley.

Get your tiller running, up in the air...not in the dirt. With it running, look at the small idler pulled up front...in the mid tach-o-matic hitch. The belt should be running in the middle of that flat idler pulley. If it isn't running in the center, that is due to wear in the tach-o-matic hitch itself...or the flat idler may be worn out. If the idler is ok and with good bearing in it, you should be able to SLIGHTLY bend the flat stock bracket that it is mounted on. Just bend it in or out SLIGHTLY until the belt runs in the center of it. Run your engine up to 3/4 throttle to see it stays put.

Use TWO pair of pliers to do this...one pair to hold the flat steel bar and another right on the bolt holding the pulley on. Otherwise, you MAY break the flat bar off of the bracket assembly.

Forest Road

Dave U DA MAN!!!!! I opted to add 3 washers behind the pulley. As opposed to bending the bracket. And checked the alignment of the rear idler. That one was way off too. Thanks! I think we're going to be OK!!!

Olratlr

Dave U DA MAN!!!!! I opted to add 3 washers behind the pulley. As opposed to bending the bracket. And checked the alignment of the rear idler. That one was way off too. Thanks! I think we're going to be OK!!!

What they said is true put a straight edge on your front to rear pulley's

and add washers until the belt runs true are it will keep throwing it off.

Ask me how I know. :hide:

can whlvr

i have an older tiller,1975 but not used much,mine is throwing the belt alot latly too,i was wondering about the rear idler and bracket,mine looks a little bent(the bracket)this is very heavy gauge and wont be easy to staighten,should it be a little bent or dead straight?

Forest Road

i have an older tiller,1975 but not used much,mine is throwing the belt alot latly too,i was wondering about the rear idler and bracket,mine looks a little bent(the bracket)this is very heavy gauge and wont be easy to staighten,should it be a little bent or dead straight?

You have to get the belt as close to the center of the pulley as possible. If the bracket is bent, as was my prob, bend it back. If it looks straight add washers. Maybe your idler bearings are shot. Sometimes you can pres sthem out and find replacements. I ended up w/ a scag pulley for $15. Works well.

Good luck

Kevin

can whlvr

im talking about the rear idler,my bearings are good it looks like the bracket is bent,it will be hard to straighten,and washers wont help,the belt runs to the rear end side so no room for washers