Sign in to follow this  
Forest Road

How do you bench test a Magnum 10?

Forest Road

Any help is greatly appreciated. I picked up a Mag 10 from a friend who swears it ran 1 - 2 years ago when parked. Seems to have good compression. But there's no air filter assembly....ALARM?!?!?! I have a spare battery and can easily handle hitting the starter w/ a couple wires. But is there an ignition circuit I need to energize or close? It has a 5 wire plug. I know part of it is for the oil sentry.

thanks

Kevin

Duff

Kevin, the ignition circuit on the Magnum engines is actually in a constant "on" condition. When you turn the ignition switch "off" it grounds out the coil. For your purposes, you can start the engine by jumping to the starter without connecting anything to the five wire connector, and to shut it off simply choke it out, shut off the fuel, or pull off the plug wire (if you're brave and have properly insulated gloves and pliers!).

Having no air filter should be a concern, but it depends more on how long it was run without one. If you can get the engine to start and it doesn't knock or smoke too badly, you should still pull the head and examine the bore for any damage. And plan on a good carb cleaning!

Someone here may have an air cleaner assembly they'd sell, or they are still available from Kohler.

Keep us posted!

~Duff :hide:

can whlvr

the air parts are no longer available from kohler,ive been lookin for a n air box cover for my new414 with a 14 magnum

Forest Road

thanks guys. I have a blown 14hp K series here. I'm going to try putting the air filter on the magnum. Not right but it'll do the job! Lets hope this thing works. Not feeling to optomistic...

Duff

the air parts are no longer available from kohler,ive been lookin for a n air box cover for my new414 with a 14 magnum

Oops! My bad! I thought they were. :hide:

Duff :WRS: