Sign in to follow this  
Horse'n Around

S/G drill and tap question

Horse'n Around

Howdy, the starter generators on both of my Horses are lacking the threaded holes for mounting the voltage regulator. I imagine that the whole shebang needs to be disassembled to drill and tap the case, but is it possible to safely do it without taking the whole thing apart? I would think that whatever is encased (be it windings or magnets etc) in the body would need to be removed to do it.

Thanks, John

dclarke

I think the best way to do it is to remove the field coils John, they'll short out if you drill into them. Be sure to address any sharp edges you may have on the inside of the case when you're done drilling and tapping the holes.

buckrancher

I think the best way to do it is to remove the field coils John, they'll short out if you drill into them. Be sure to address any sharp edges you may have on the inside of the case when you're done drilling and tapping the holes.

:hide::WRS:

besure to mark the holes where you want them before you take it apart

Horse'n Around

Thanks for the advise Denny and Brian. I figured that taking it apart is the only way to go, but you cant blame a guy for hoping :hide:

Now all I have to do is get up the nerve to take it apart , they cant be too hard to work on... are they hahaha :WRS: