Sign in to follow this  
sscotsman

Removing main engine pulley.

sscotsman

Anyone have any tips for removing the engine pulley on a K181?

Is there a specific procedure for doing this? other than just pulling on it? :thumbs:

pully-L.jpg

I need to remove the current pulley, and replace it with another one, so i can hook up the mower deck..(the configuration of the current pulley wont align with the deck. I have the correct pulley that will..)

I loosened the allen key, but it wont pull off..will I need a gear puller? or I can do it with more basic tools? I considered giving it a few light taps with a hammer, in an attempt to loosen it by pushing it inward, but I didnt know if that might damage the engine! (also I dont want to shove it inward, not be able to move it back outward, then not be able to use the tractor at all!) so I didnt try that..any suggestions are welcome!

thanks,

Scot

being new here and not kohler expert i will still jump in with my opinion. i wouldn't do any pounding with hammer as it may screw up the crankshaft and bearings. i would soak it with a good penetrating oil like PB blaster and then i would try a gear puller. but go very easy with it! pulling on the lip may just break it. if it doesn't come with light force i'd make some sort of tool to get in behind the pulley so you can pull on the center hub. kinda like a bearing splitter. pulling on that and the center of the crank you could give it all the force you want.

are you sure you have all the set screws out? there may be more than one. also , clean the rust/paint/etc off the exposed part of the crank

woodchuckfarmer

Good advice 305. Also file away any burrs on the crank before you try to pull it .

daveoman1966

Maybe this would do the pulling job....not sure, but it does work to pull a steering wheel. If not this, MAYBE you could drill and tap threads at 180 degrees apart, then use a more standart hub puller.

Attached Image

post-61-1304829194.jpg

sscotsman

Thanks guys!

yeah, looks like a gear puller is going to be needed for this job..

and PB blaster..the shaft isnt really rusted, so its hopefully not stuck very tight..

thanks, I will let you know how it goes!

Scot

littleredrider

What's wrong with the pulley on it now?? All my round hoods including my 854 has that pulley.

Could also put a little heat to it. I use a butane torch, heat it all around the outside, then some love taps and slides right off.

sscotsman

What's wrong with the pulley on it now?? All my round hoods including my 854 has that pulley.

The grooves dont match up with the pulley for the mower deck..

I dont know why, but apparently there is more than one pulley design.

When I bought the tractor, the previous owner told me the pulley on the tractor wouldnt work for the mower deck..he knew about it, and he happened to have another pulley that would work, and he gave it to me! (thanks Brian!)

If anyone is interested, I can take some photos of the two pulleys, to show what I mean..I cant explain why there are two different pulleys! :WRS: but there are..

probably for different attachments? or perhaps from two different tractors..I dont know..

maybe a short video! :hide: I will shoot one today..

Scot

littleredrider

If you could take a pic that would be great. I could swear the pulley on my 854 is the same as the on my 67 ranger, the 63 ranger, and 702/753 I parted it out.

Maybe it needs to be moved on the shaft to get it to line up better.

buckrancher

The grooves dont match up with the pulley for the mower deck..

I dont know why, but apparently there is more than one pulley design.

When I bought the tractor, the previous owner told me the pulley on the tractor wouldnt work for the mower deck..he knew about it, and he happened to have another pulley that would work, and he gave it to me! (thanks Brian!)

If anyone is interested, I can take some photos of the two pulleys, to show what I mean..I cant explain why there are two different pulleys! :WRS: but there are..

probably for different attachments? or perhaps from two different tractors..I dont know..

maybe a short video! :hide: I will shoot one today..

Scot

Scot

The pulley on the tractor is the original pulley but the drive belt groove is wore out

so I turned the pulley around to use a good groove to drive the transmission

but when you do that the spacing is wrong for driving the mower deck that is why I

gave you a good pulley the engine crankshaft has antiseze on it so the pulley should come off easy with a pry bar behind the pulley just besure the set screw

is loose

the correct way for the new pulley to be installed toward the engine is

GROOVE, dead space with set screw, GROOVE,GROOVE

take note how close the pulley is to the engine and reinstall the new one to that depth.

Brian

sscotsman

Thanks Brian! :WRS:

you the man..

got the pulley off!

used a large screwdriver, wedged it between the pulley and the engine block, and gently finessed the pulley off..installed the other pulley, and got the mower deck up and running! woo hoo! :hide:

photos coming tomorrow..

thanks for the help everyone!

Scot