Sign in to follow this  
tommy3horse

Raider 12 "shows-up"

tommy3horse

Hello;

Got up this morning getting the kids off to school and doing the usual chores....a day unlike any other.

I made out some bills and headed to the mailbox. As I walked back from the mailbox, I noticed a large plastic covered thing in my driveway. Upon closer inspection, i found a Raider 12, complete with a deck and a huge mound of parts stacked on it. :D

Turns out that it had belonged to my nabor who after having ignition problems and loosing interest, dropped it in my driveway! :thumbs:

It looks very complete, with a new ignition, switch, coil, etc. I noticed that it has an electric clutch that is new, new ribbed front tires, tight steering, and is overall very complete. Needs a hood.

Model: 1 0310 6

Serial: 759966

Looks like it had had electronic ignition, and will be converted back. Wonder what is necessary for that? Just points and coil?

Tom

:wh:

It has a good battery as well and cranks over! Cannot wait to dig into it and see if I can get her going. Wish me luck.

racinfool40

:thumbs: :wh: Some people have all the LUCK!!!! Awaiting Pic's!!!! :D:D glad your having some luck!!!!

Ken B

Are you sure he didn't drop it off for you to fix it for him? :thumbs:

Gene_S

I'd say he dreamed it all up with out pictures for proof... :wh:

Some people do have all the luck... :thumbs:

Electro12WH

Pretty strange he didn't ask if you wanted it first.

smoreau

I think some one was sleep walking again :thumbs:

mcwh1950

Are you going to change you name to Tommy4horse now :thumbs:

Good luck on your new drop off.

SAM58

:thumbs: Cool, Raiders are a Great Tractor :wh:

tommy3horse

The man came over and told me he's tired of looking at it and spending $ on it. He says that if I can get her going, I can keep it. Pretty nice guy, I have had conversations with him about this tractor and thought it was a Techy for some reason, but I truly thought he was full of crap about bringing it over for me.

I dug into it a bit yesterday and defined the strategy on how to get it going. I am going to swap out the trigger in favor of points and a coil. I think a solanoid is also necessary, as there is not one on it now.

I have heard of this type of ignition, but have never seen one. Anyone else done a conversion on one of these??

Of course, you all love pictures and am still working on getting a suitable camera. My desktop got fried several weeks ago by an evil squirrel and have not yet replaced it. So, I am stuck on the kids laptops for now, and no camera.

But, all in all, a very original unmolested and tight '71 Raider 12 w/ 36" deck. Missing the hood from a storm dropping a tree on it, but the motor was saved.

Tom

:wh:

PS: I was tommy3horse when I only had 1 :D . I have 2 '65 mustangs but now have 5 :D So theoreticly, I should be tommy 7 horse! :thumbs:

NYRaider

I converted a Raider 12 with a 12 HP Kohler engine from electronic to points because the replacement electronic components were rediculously expensive. I think the conversion cost me less than $20 (I may have had a coil already). If memory serves me, you need a push rod, points and condensor, maybe a cover and gasket for the points. There is a metal plug in the side of the engine that needs to be removed to accomodate the push rod. I pushed it into the engine and fished it out with a magnet, but it took a while to find it. Someone may have a better recommendation. Glad I made the conversion.

Raider12

I to made this convertion many years ago. And man a, I ever glad I did. The electronic ignition was always an issue. But since I added the points, I have never had to touch it. And it's been about 15 years now.

AMC RULES

Has your opinion of the neighbor changed now or do you still think the guy is full of crap? :WRS: Wish my neighbors were as nice as yours. :hide:

JC 1965

Wow!! I sure wish i had neighbors like that. :hide: I also changed my Raider 12 over to points, it runs much better. The raider's are really hard working tractors. :WRS:

tommy3horse

Thanks guys for the encouragement on the conversion. I have read in a thread here that the stator and flywheel need changed out, plus a new switch, anyone know for sure?

No, the nabor is definitly not full of crap, but I am smiling like a possum eating it! :hide:

I still need a Raider hood...anyone??

Tom

JC 1965

Thanks guys for the encouragement on the conversion. I have read in a thread here that the stator and flywheel need changed out, plus a new switch, anyone know for sure?

No, the nabor is definitly not full of crap, but I am smiling like a possum eating it! :WRS:

I still need a Raider hood...anyone??

Tom

:) You will have to change the ignition switch part# 103990 ( got mine on E-Bay ). You DO NOT have to change the stator or fly wheel. Conversion is pretty easy, it sure made my tractor start faster and run better. Hope this helps!! :hide:

varosd

Great deal!! :hide:

My neighbors just leave their pushed snow!!

Driving around Central PA, I'm always trying to spot red machines in the backyards!

tommy3horse

Hello;

I got her running, and running well. Made up a new wire harness and cleaned/rebuilt the carb, and changed the oil. Initially, the coil I had was bad, only 1.5 ohms, and it wouldnt stay running past idle.. I had to search the garage to find one with 4.9 ohms. Installed it and away we went. Found a hood as well from a member close by. Now she is complete! Working on the 36" deck the is needed to fit through my gate to the lakeside of my property to mow, as my push mower shot craps. Just a good cleaning and lube is all that is needed.

Thanks to all who contributed on this project!

Tom

:hide:

squonk

Great deal!! :)

My neighbors just leave their pushed snow!!

Driving around Central PA, I'm always trying to spot red machines in the backyards!

My neighbors just leave dog droppings! :hide: :WRS:

AMC RULES

Wish my neighbors would just leave. :hide: Permanently. :WRS: