Sign in to follow this  
Prater

D Series Issue

Prater

I have a question in the transaxle section of the forum, but want to discuss it here. The new transaxle is from a D-160 with an external brake. My D-180 has the internal brake lever. Do I really need the brake since its hydro? When I hit the brake it sets the pump in nuetral and I could use the lever to put some backing motion on the system. Another member here has the transaxle I need, but I would need some help getting it closer to Oklahoma at the moment. Any ideas or comments? I would really like to get this D going and let me brother use the 416...

Thanks

Help me Please!!!

IMG_2114.jpg

IMG_2115.jpg

wh500special

Do I really need the brake since its hydro?

No.

You're going to lose the parking brake function, but functionally you can do without the transaxle brake and just rely on dynamic braking.

I have a C-160 that I swapped a C-161 hydro into and I just left the band brake unconnected.

You don't really want to be throwing the tractor into reverse to stop it though. The acceleration valves and pressure relief should snub the shock to the system, but it's not the best practice for driveline longitivity...especially on the D-series.

Steve

Prater

Thanks Steve.

That will let me use it until I can find all the brake parts.

c175inMA

if you don't hookup the brakes then i wouldn't tow any heavy trailers on a hill

Arndts small engine repair

pm sent :thumbs:

Prater

Thanks for the replies. I have the donor transaxle in and added 1 quart of oil to check for leaks in the morning. I need a new filter then I will fill with oil and do a test run on the stands.

Prater

No oil leaks...Yeah. Now I need to go find a filter...