Sign in to follow this  
trainman

rusted on rear wheels

trainman

Hello all I have a Wheel horse 211-5 lawn tractor, The rear tires are rusted on the axle i have soaked them well with wd40. I have removed the outer c- clips on the outer axle and washers and these wheels wont budge. I want them off due to the tubes wont hold air for a few days I think I need new tubes it was built in 1986. Any suggestions??? :thumbs:

Kelly

There is no good way on those lawn tractors, DON"T pound on it to hard you will break the trans inside or pull a axle right out of it, the last one I did, I pulled the tire off the rim, then cut the rim off the center hub, then split the center hub along the shaft to get it off, but if your just needing to change a tire it can be do with the rim on the mower.

HankB

I don't know that WD-40 is a particularly good penetrant. I would get something like PB-Blaster or Kroil that has been formulated to do that. There were some messages going around last year that suggested that a 50:50 mix of acetone and ATF made a good penetrant. If you try that, use utmost caution because acetone is very volatile. (google "acetone ATF" for more discussion of that.)

If you have time, let it work for you. I've had stuff that I couldn't budge come off easily after several weeks of application.

As a matter of course, I shoot some penetrating oil on the rear hubs of my tractors on an annual basis. Hopefully should the need arise to remove the hubs, they will come off w/out too much fuss. I do the same with parts on mower decks that are known to be difficult to remove. I've seen this question too many times.

C-Series14

Wd-40 won't help....PB Blaster or Kroil would be better. I have though put new tubes and tires on a wheel like yours while on the tractor

perry

yep, leave the rims on and strip the tire while on the tractor. or pop the outer bead off and replace tubes. will have to still break both beads from rim to make it easyier to get the outer bead off rim.

dgjks6

Leave off the c-clip and washer. Put on some PB blaster. Try for several days to remove.

Decide they are never coming off.

Plan a party at your house. Let your lawn grow a little long.

The day of the party, when the grass NEEDS to be cut and if you can't cut the grass at that time it would really be inconvenient, go try to mow.

Then the tire will literally fall off.

Works every time for me.

HankB

The day of the party, when the grass NEEDS to be cut and if you can't cut the grass at that time it would really be inconvenient, go try to mow.

I like that strategy.

what are you serving at the party? :thumbs:

clintonnut

Plan a party at your house.

Kilroy

Leave off the c-clip and washer. Put on some PB blaster. Try for several days to remove.

Decide they are never coming off.

Then the tire will literally fall off.

Works every time for me.

That is hilarious. Will keep that in mind though.

:thumbs:

Arndts small engine repair

yep, leave the rims on and strip the tire while on the tractor. or pop the outer bead off and replace tubes. will have to still break both beads from rim to make it easyier to get the outer bead off rim.

Yes i would leave the rims on and strip the tire while on the tractor ! i hate fixing trans when you pull the axles out ! :thumbs: but good luck :wh:

meadowfield

last sticky one we had, had the oxy acetylene to heat the wheel hub cherry red, used a punch to try knock the shaft whilst holding the wheel with the tranny suspended from the hub.

Needless to say it didn't work...

So we split the tranny and used the press :wh:

9 tons before the shaft moved with helluva bang!! :thumbs:

mark

* note this was a peerless and full of grease, so no seals to wreck