Sign in to follow this  
Prater

D Series Transaxle Help

Prater

I am finally getting the time to work on my D-180. The original transaxle had been busted and re-welded. It leaked very badly. I hunted around and found a donor out of a D-160 on ebay. It was cheap and a friend picked it up for me. Now that I have finally pulled it off the pallet, I notice that it has a different brake system. Looks like the system of my 416 with a brake pad. The originalbrake has a lever that works off the pump. The other difference is the pressure relief, the donor transaxle has the connections for the relief valve but they have a plug installed. Should I look around for the rest of the brake parts and go ahead and hook up the relief valve so I can get the tractor going or is there ather issues that I have not realized yet?

Thanks again everyone...

Prater

Anyone?

pfrederi

My D200 is the old style with no brake just a parking pawl in the rearend. I would assume if you want to hook up the brake drum style you will have to change linkages. I would look up both versions on Toro and see what different linkage parts are involved. When you say relief valve are you talking about he dampner Box like thin with 4 ports or the valve in the hydraulic motor itself (4-89 to 4-95 in teh parts diagram )

Prater

Its the box that sits above the trans with two hoses conexting to the hydraulic pump on the transmission. 4-104 relief valve.

The linkage is different. I have the exploded view from a 1975 D-160. there are a couple of linkages three rockers a plate and the brake assembly that I would need.

pfrederi

That sounds like the Dampener unit. It was supposed to reduce thepp shock of shifting between forward and reverse. Early Ds (like mine) did not use them, neither did the last ones, (cost savings??)

If you take it easy going between forward and reverse it isn't really necessary