Sign in to follow this  
rrlascott

GT14 battery

rrlascott

The manual states I need a 42 amp hr battery. Batteries are sold in CCA now. Cold Cranking Amps. No one can tell me for sure which one is right. Even Intertstate Battery was not positive, and ther is no formula to convert one to the other. Any ideas?

corn53

I been using a cheap walmart battery on mine with no problems. Its the 1 with more cca. and she starts and runs fine. :thumbs:

Brrly1

Where are you at? We use a battery here in Toledo that has a two year gurantee on them. We buy them from Andersons in either Toledo or Maumee, Ohio. I believe they are also in Lima or Columbus, Ohio. They are definitely good batteries. Type 22nf4, 430 Ca, 360 CCa. I have used many thru out the years. I wouldn't go buying one thru Walmart. Good Luck :thumbs:

:wh:

Save Old Iron

There are no formulas to convert CCA to Amp hours.

The terms are very different - it would be like converting seconds to gallons. There is no direct correlation.

Plate thickness and surface area determine battery characteristics.

A greater number of thinner plates = greater CCA = a starting battery (short, high burst of current)

Fewer thicker plates = greater amp hours = a deep discharge battery (lower draw for much longer period of time)

The "best" battery will depend on what your use for it will be.

High CCA will get you started in the winter time.

High amp hours will keep the lights on longer

JC 1965

:thumbs: I also use the Walmart battery, it works fine. :wh:

Brrly1

Thats really good, for both of you. I guess it's just my preference. I don't really have any problems all year long including winter time even when it been sub zero temps for a week or two. Also some of these have lasted for up to four years. :thumbs:

:wh:

dpm2000bolt

I believe they are also in Lima or Columbus, Ohio.

I am sad to report that it has closed in Lima, Oh

smoreau

try your jd store. they have a 3 year pro rated warrenty and 1 year free replacement. that are filled with acid when you buy them and also have caps so you can check the water in them. I have one thats 7 years old and has never had a battery charger put on it even after sitting all winter long and having to pump fuel from the rear tank. still works great. I think there called strong box batterys