Sign in to follow this  
shallowwatersailor

Another Method for a Cyclone Rake Hitch

shallowwatersailor

After finally convincing "She who must be obeyed" that we needed a Cyclone Rake for leaf patrol, I was able to purchase the XL model with a 9hp Vanguard engine. One of the problems that owners of Wheel Horse tractors have with regards to the two-pin hitch that Woodland Products uses is the single tang on the tractors. Woodlands solution is an adapter that bolts to the tang and then their hitch plate to that. I knew that this would put a lot of stress onto the transaxle casting at the tang. Other WH owners have used the WH rear axle hitch welding up an adapter to spread the load to the axle housings. After using the Cyclone Rake for the first time, my suspicions were confirmed. The weight after being loaded had bent the tang to the left which made sense as I had been traveling counter-clockwise. I was determined to find a bolt-on solution for those who don't have access to a welder and seem to have succeeded.

There is a gentleman on the Bay that welds up a 2" receiver for WH tractors. He recently started to offer one for the 5xi series. I purchased one and started to see how I could use it instead. My original intention was to utilize the 2" receiver. The problem is that there is too much side torsional load with the two-pin hitch. I finally just drilled through the receiver frame and bolted the Cyclone hitch plate directly using Grade 5 bolts and the two backing plates that Woodland provided. I can still use the receiver for a hitch but need to remove it all for the WH rear hitch to use for winter and snowplowing.

DSCN1503.jpg

DSC05455.jpg

DSC05456.jpg

In the bottom photo you can see how the tang was bent with the sideload.

DoctorHfuhruhurr

Do you happen to have the eBay user id or eBay link of the person you purchased the receiver from? I have the same issue.

Thanks!

smoreau

Looks great and I think I could use your idea for a project of mine soon. Thanks for the input. :D:wh: :thumbs:

shallowwatersailor

Do you happen to have the eBay user id or eBay link of the person you purchased the receiver from? I have the same issue.

Thanks!

His user id is: randy3501972. I don't see a listing right now but keep trying. I used Wheel Horse Hitch to search.

skeggordon

I'd like one of those hitches as well. Too bad randy3501972 is nowhere to be found at the moment. Saw his stuff before, should've grabbed it then.

I can see how swinging that trailer around would bend the stock hitch, too much leverage! Your installation looks clean.

Jay Gordon

Forest Road

I have one of his hitches. I'll gladly sell it to you. In my opinion its junk. the plow hitch only worked w/ the 520 extension. The square tubes on the plow hit his hitch. And the hole is 1/16" too small for a 5/8" hitch pin. I had to drill that out.

I just finished making my own hitch w/ factory plow mount. It will accomodate 4 - 44# suitcase weights along w/ a 2" reciever.

shallowwatersailor

My original intention was to do something, without welding, to correct the issue of the side load on the hitch tang. In the fabricator's defense, his hitch has allowed that and I am able to spread the load rather than concentrating it as Woodland does. I figured for $25.00 plus shipping it was worth a try.

Now that I have this hitch to work with, I may try to find a welding shop to fabricate something like Cole's Dad fabricated. I didn't have any problem with the 5/8" pin fitting so that must have been corrected. I did have to replace the hardware though that he included because the bolts were too long, but that was a minor issue. At the same time, I upped the size and went to grade 5 bolts out of personal preference for a couple of dollars more. On the issue of the hitch adapters for WH attachments, the 5xi series transaxle is wider and will not accomodate the hitch adapters as he fabricates them. I asked. For now I will need to pull this off in the winter when I switch to the plow.

I like the idea of putting weights on the rear off of this hitch. Something else to work on! Until I get a welding rig (about fifth or sixth on the list), this is fine for me. If randy3501972 does show up again on the Bay, I intend to get one or two more for my other tractors.