Sign in to follow this  
rockinhorse

FRONT AXELS

rockinhorse

More questions The front Axel on a 1960 400 suburban is it pined the same way as the axles on the C series tractors? is the pin that holds the Axel to the frame the same size ? I think it's 3/4"? Are the axles the same thickness at the pin area? Are the axles hard to find and expensive ? The front rims on 400 what size are they? Wanting to build a rat rod i like the looks of the 400 axles. If you have any close-up pics that would help alot.

thanks again

Karl

\flat rock,in.

jimt1971

Hello,

the early tractors cross pin is smaller. But you can always modify anything.

Jim

Kelly

This is a 400 front axle, with custom made spindles, I had to drill it out to 3/4" and shim the back as it's not as thick.

100_0592.jpg

rockinhorse

This is a 400 front axle, with custom made spindles, I had to drill it out to 3/4" and shim the back as it's not as thick.

100_0592.jpg

thanks kelly I have been looking at your tractor for some ideas. The pics helped a lot. Do you have any pics of the spindles you made . I hope someday i can have a tractor that looks half as good as yours. It's always interesting to see the ideas that come up on here every day. :thumbs:

Karl

flat rock ,in

TT

I also started with a 400/550/401/551 axle but used the OEM spindles.

The original pivot location was OK to start with....... but I wanted mine to sit lower, so I drilled the pivot hole higher and cut off the "extra" later:

ratrod5001.jpg

RatRod032608012.jpg

After the tractor was drivable, the lack of caster (was actually negative) made it weave & wander and it was a bit uncontrollable at higher speeds.

I cut the front plate completely out of the frame, (1970 Charger) heated & bent the rear plate forward at the bottom, and fitted & welded the front plate at the matching angle:

060308005.jpg

060308013.jpg

It's not the prettiest, but I gained the needed positive caster:

060308010.jpg

Because I used low profile rear tires, the rake is not as prominent as the other "chop & drop" jobs you'll see - but it's the look I was after. :thumbs:

DT062308001.jpg

rockinhorse

Thanks TT you guys have made your tractors look good. Have a c frame coming soon. Still looking for front axle but i will find one ? thanks for pics always helps to see what you are talking about. Where can you find small rims at like you and kelly have. Both look good on the tractors.

thanks

Karl

flat rock in.

Kelly

Mine are from a 1970 or 71 Rupp mini bike, I think TT's are for a go kart, but I will let comfirm.

TT

My (Astro) wheels are from Azusa Engineering and are predominantly used on karts and mini-bikes.

The front tires are designed for use on "pocket bikes" and were found HERE.