Sign in to follow this  
jncoleman1

New from TN and need advice

jncoleman1

Hello all,

New member from TN. My Dad has been restoring a C-81 and finally has gotten me interested. I have found a 244-5 locally for $100 or so. Tranny and deck are in good shape. The Onan motor was replaced years ago for a Power Products that is not running either.

I would try to repower it, but my question is: Is it worth the hassle? Or should I try to find an older model and just do a complete resto on it? I have a newer John Deere tractor/mower, but want something with a little more versatility for around the yard.

Here is a photo of the 244-5:

3k63m93oa5O05U65P1b4ff07ea7b392411b22.jpg

Thanks for the site and the help!

MikesRJ

My opinion, the 244-5 is a vertical engined "Yard Tractor". Not very collectible and in my opinion not worth the effort. If you really want to restore something (a Wheel Horse that is), I would wait until you find a horizontal engined "Garden Tractor" and put your effort into that.

The 244-5 would be worth $100.00 running, but certainly not with a non-running engine. Just my two cents.

Oh, and :thumbs:

c175inMA

:thumbs:

racinfool40

:D I Agree with MikesRj..My neighbor has a 244-H, Although it's a nice machine parts are on the pricey side!!!!I just had to replace the ingnition coil :thumbs: 148.00 just a little heads up.. :wh:

Sparky

Mike..........

jncoleman1

That is what I think as well. I wouldn't be gaining anything over what I have already.

Thanks!

btrrg1969

Jake Kuhn

Little_Red

:thumbs: what part of tn you live in ive been watching the same one on cl

jncoleman1

:thumbs: what part of tn you live in ive been watching the same one on cl

I am near Chattanooga. The mower is between Murfreesboro and Franklin off I-840. Seems to be a nice guy that has it.

JC 1965

:D Hello and :wh: If you keep looking, you will find you a nice tractor, just be patient, they can be a little hard to find sometimes but the wait will be worth it, when you find the right one. Hope this helps!! :thumbs:

gwgdog66

WH854

:wh: :thumbs:

Chas

jncoleman1

My concern is the oil pressure on an old model. I have a yard that is basically one large hill so would be sidehilling much of the time. I feel like the older motors just can't handle it.

How easy is it to repower a 60s-70s model with a current engine that will push enough oil?

Any suggestions on a horizontal engine would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all!

Little_Red

my yard is nothing but two sides of a holler and my horses have no problem with oil and thats two years worth of mowing

SAM58

My opinion, the 244-5 is a vertical engined "Yard Tractor". Not very collectible and in my opinion not worth the effort. If you really want to restore something (a Wheel Horse that is), I would wait until you find a horizontal engined "Garden Tractor" and put your effort into that.

The 244-5 would be worth $100.00 running, but certainly not with a non-running engine. Just my two cents.

Oh, and :WRS:

Ditto what Mike said...

AMC RULES

Patience is the key here, determine first the model you like best, then search out the one that's right for you. Trust me, once you start collecting that :wh: red tin, it's very, very hard to stop. :WRS:

JimD

:WRS:

Kelly

:WRS: And my opinion wait till you find a garden tractor if you plan to use it for more than mowing your lawn.

CasualObserver

:WRS: