Sign in to follow this  
Kelly

Early square decks

Kelly

I'm going to start working on building up a early square deck to put on my round hood I built this winter to mow with, I have 7 decks to use parts off, only one has a tag RM364 they all seem to be the same 36" deck, I have a near new set of blades, and a few spindle shafts that are nice, and a very good set of gears, one deck shell that seems soild so far, one upper carrier that the ball socket things are still nice and tight, most the others have pulled out, are the bearings still available to rebuild thses? I havn't tore them all apart yet, but I will probably put all new bearings in if I can get them, and is there any tips on rebuilding these things? things I need to watch for or make sure I do, so I don't screw anything up? I know I have to time the spindles so the blades don't hit, but other than that?

squonk

I know all the bearings for a RM-324 are still available from Napa and McMaster-Carr. I don't have the numbers in front of me though. I have a sheet buried in a folder in the shop.

TT

They're pretty simple, Kelly.

The common bearings and seals should be available from many vendors, and I might even have a few extra thrust (face) bearings here somewhere if you need them.

As for advise........... :thumbs:

Don't over-tighten the bolts going up through into the aluminum bearing housings for the cross shaft - but you might want to hit them with a dab of non-permanent thread locker. (like Loctite blue 242)

Make sure you put the blades on the right way. :wh:

Kelly

They look simple, I marked the blades when I took them off, now these were not timed at right angles, but did not hit when turned should I time these at right angles to each other? I cracked a few bolts loose others will need heat I think, this is the deck with the good shell, and gears, most of this deck will be used, except the hanger, I have one with a good front panel, and I have a NOS set of matched belts I just need to make sure they are the right ones, and the mount/hangers that go on the tractor are they solid with just a hole or can I use the style that open?

100_3476.jpg

100_3475.jpg

TT

I normally set the blades @ 90 degrees, but they're fine as long as they don't hit each other when rotated.

1964 models should be the only year (of the "square" design) that can be used with the speed hitch. The front mounting "shaft" is a little bit different from the earlier models. (this might be hard to understand, but there's more room behind the triple-groove pulley - and the small part on the other end is longer :thumbs: )

Ignore the actual deck, but look at the shaft where it would hook into the speed hitch:

021708001.jpg

Kelly

That make perfect sense, I will look to see if mine will work, thanks